Chapter 2

Fia

• • •

"Anyway, I'm glad you arrived safe and sound." Alice, my best friend was saying over the phone.

I arrived in Italy last night, where I was spending most of the summer. My parents own a villa here complete with a vineyard and stables, and I've been coming ever since I was a kid. It was my favourite place.

I rolled over lazily in the huge white bed. "Thanks Al. I can't wait until you come visit!"

"Neither can I!" Alice replied excitedly, then her voice became softer as she cautiously asked, "So do you wanna talk about what happened the other night?" 

I knew which 'other night' she was referring to... Her party. I knew I took it way too far and honestly I was too embarrassed and ashamed to even think about it. I could barely even remember it never mind talk about it. I could be a messy drunk sometimes. "Alice, no. Please, I don't even wanna think about it right now."

Alice knew right away to back off the subject. "Ok, no problem. Call if you want to, okay?"

"Ok. I'll talk to you later." I said and hung up, staring out the balcony of my room. The sky was clear blue and the sunlight was streaming through.

I was so happy to be here and escape back home. I was really looking forward to two whole months of peace and quiet.

"Fia," I heard my mother, Grace call and then walk into my room. "Good, you're awake."

I stretched and waited to hear what she was planning to announce. I didn't really look like my mother at all, apart from the dark brown hair. But she was beautiful and kind.

"I have good news. Gloria and James are nearly here." Mother said with a smile.

I stared at her for another moment. Gloria and James were friends of my parents. They became friends a few years ago and they were really nice but I didn't know why my mother thought I'd be excited about it.

"Um, great." I responded as I got out of bed, trying to sound pleasant. I walked over to one of my suitcases that I hadn't unpacked yet and picked out my blue swimsuit.

"I'll ask Margarita to unpack for you." Mother noted, almost to herself and sat on my bed.

Margarita was a sort-of housekeeper that worked at the house while we were here. She was really nice and I hated bothering her.

"No, I'll do it myself." I called back as I walked into my ensuite, leaving the door open so I could still talk to mother.

I stared at my reflection as my mother kept talking. I looked extremely tired. I still hadn't recovered properly from Alice's party. I shook my head and pushed all thoughts of the night out of my head. I slipped off my white silk pyjama shorts and camisole and pulled on my blue swimsuit, thinking about how relaxing my first swim of the summer will be. Well, first sober swim anyway.

"The reason I'm telling you," my mother went on, noting my unenthused tone, "is because I forgot to mention but they're bringing their son with them."

"Oh, great. A friend." I muttered as I emerged from the bathroom and glared at my mother.

The last time one of my parents guests brought their son with them was when I was eight and he put a worm in my sandwich. And I ate half of it before I saw it wriggling.