Chapter 5: Ending Your Story

"There!" My index finger jammed against the glass window and pointed to the familiar brick house. Officer Handel and the other cops pulled over. They headed out and did the necessary protocol. Ryan and I sat in the back in silence. My eyes stung from crying.

My stomach churned as I stared out the window. I was afraid of what was going to happen next. I didn't want to lay eyes on the man that killed my best friend. My mind wasn't ready.

Officer Handel rushed up the steps while the others waited around the perimeter and knocked on the door. 

I held my breath. The door slowly opened, and then he appeared in his casual glory. I clenched the door handle until my knuckles turned white and gave the burly man a glare, one so powerful that he would've ended up dead.

Just like Jess, my mind thought bitterly.

"Mr. Rewel, you are under arrest for the murder of Jess Mckinnon. You have the right to remain silent."

His reaction was of pure shock as he was whipped around and handcuffed. "What is the meaning of this?!"

I snapped the car door open and stomped out. "Are you serious? Why would you kill my best friend? Why!"

My fists were balled up. I felt myself tremble with the anger that surged through me. Charlie's dad dropped his facade and scowled at me. "You know why? She didn't deserve that scholarship! Charlie was only off by two tenths of a point for the acceptance test! He needed it more! We're in debt! We don't have enough to pay. He could've gotten a great education at a college with the scholarship, but he wouldn't have, and it's because of that girl. If she was gone, he was next in line. And he would've done better on the test if he didn't spend his free time with you three." 

I screamed at the hatred in his voice as he pronounced the last words and lunged toward him.

One officer called Ryan's name.

An arm wrapped around my waist, holding me back. I struggled and fought, needing to claw out at least one of his eyes. "That's not how it works! It wasn't her fault! And now because of you, the world lost an amazing person! I lost my best friend!" I shouted. Ryan pulled me into a tight hug. "She was my best friend." I whispered.

He patted my hair and I stayed limp in his arms. A part of me gave up. My best friend was gone, and I couldn't bring her back.

"Dad," Someone croaked. I lifted my head to see Charlie at the doorway with his mother, tears in both of their eyes. "She was my friend."

"She was in the way," He replied in a scolding manner.

He still tried to struggle as he was being dragged towards the car.

"Wait," I say quietly. He looked at me in disgust. "Why did you put flowers around her?"

"Something had to cover up the smell."

"Anything you say may be used against you in court." Officer Handel said with an edge. Nothing was spoken after that while he pushed him into the back of his vehicle, and eventually, he gave us a nod before driving off.

After the last cop car left, I sat down on the sidewalk and stared off into the sun setting in the distance. Ryan did the same.

The world was quiet—well, I thought it was, until I heard Charlie's mother's heartbroken crying in the back. I could hear the sadness of a woman just finding out her husband killed someone, and silence of a teenage boy who found out his father killed his friend.

I lowered my back onto the sidewalk, looking up at what should've been red and orange hues, but purple instead; Jess' favorite color. And without a doubt, it was enough to know that it was a sign from her. 

My mind was haggard. I started the day going from confused, determined, awestruck—the chain of feelings never ended. I was full of morose in that moment. I've felt enough emotions in that one day to last a life time. 

My best friend had been dead in the warehouse for three days. She was long gone by the time we found her. She was gone in the first place because of how amazing and intelligent she was. If only she had seen herself like that, like the rest of us did. If only she didn't underestimate herself so much. Jess was a girl with plenty of potential, only going through a temporarily hard time. She was a bright girl in a dark and ignorant world—a diamond in the rough.

╰☆╮