Chapter 5

Chapter 5 

After our long session, I lay down to sleep as Hanna took watch. That was when the Zeds got in. The door opened, and they fell in quickly, like a storm. I looked at the sheer number, and knew Hanna and I wouldn't survive the fight. I attacked the horde with my blade, cutting though necks easily. There wasn't the pain of cold teeth biting into my flesh. Suddenly, there was a crack, and someone appeared in the darkness, firing a revolver into the group of Zeds. Each shot struck a Zed cranium.  

I turned and renewed the fight, and my vision began to turn red as I punched, bludgeoned, and slashed them. They all fell under my forceful attack. Then I turned to congratulate Hanna.  

There was a man there. He was big and tough, much more muscled than I was, and by the looks of him, he could've been a slaver. But I thought I recognized him. Someone I knew from school. Then his name came to me.  

"Alex? Are you a slaver or something?" I asked as he placed the pistol at Hanna's temple.  

"Yeah. I am. Your friend here is on the capture list. So are you. Either you both come with me, or I go home empty-handed."  

I stood there, dumbfounded. The slaver was assigned to take both of us? Most were assigned to only one target. Nonetheless, I was ready.  

"Alex," I said with gritted teeth. "I don't want to fight you. But I'm not letting you take us as slaves."  

I lunged with the sword, stabbing for Alex's solarplexus. He dodged, and I stepped in front of the gun as he shot, taking the bullet for Hanna. For her, it would've been instantly lethal. For me, I was knocked on my @#!*% , and was bleeding out after Hanna shot Alex in the head with her Glock.  

"Oh God," Hanna said as she looked at the wound. I was gonna die of either blood loss, or infection.  

"It's okay, Hanna. You will survive, and live on. I took that bullet to save you, because it would've instantly killed you. But I'll survive long enough to get medical help."  

She thought I was lying, but I wasn't. I revealed the hidden armor underneath my shirt and jacket.  

"It only let fragments of the bullet through," I grunted. "I'm still wounded, and we'll need a medical professional to help fix me. And we'll need our own medical supplies."  

"Okay," Hanna said, about to break down again, like when I'd found her.  

"Hanna. It's gonna be okay," I said reassuringly. "I'll be okay."  

Hanna's eyes turned hard.  

"Let's get to that military base, quickly."  

We collected our gear, and exited the old abandoned warehouse, leaving Alex's corpse rotting inside.