2. To See Her Again

"Ig-No-Ras!"

In less than a second, the dark-haired female spun at the call of her name. However, before she could react, her body stumbled forward from the impact of a certain caramel head who had leapt onto her from behind.

"Leticia!" Ignoras cried.

The caramel-haired adolescent grinned from ear to ear, watching Ignoras whom had become her best friend back in their Training Corps days, catch her breath from the sudden what-she-called-playful attack. Hopping off the back of the older woman, she was going to enter another round of playful brawling. But as she took in Ignoras' whole appearance, she could not help eye the metal blades clenched tightly in her best friend's hands.

This had happened far too many times in the past week.

"Captain Levi wants to spar with you again!" Leticia exasperatedly yelled.

Ignoras followed the exclamation with a thorough nod. However, her thoughts brought doubt and she cocked her head to one side, continuing the conversation. "But I can't see why he wants to spar with me when he's obviously stronger," she sighed, "besides, you are the one who came out top in our 102nd Training Corps group."

Leticia laughed, her eyes watering from the incredibility of Ignoras' words. 

"You know you came second in our group," she started dramatically, "and that was only because your leg's mechanics had malfunctioned during the actual examination. In all other training sessions, you had no problem in coming first!"

Ignoras' eyes immediately darted towards the empty corridors. Sighing with the relief that no one had heard their conversation, she turned back to Leticia, frowning.

"Don't talk about my legs," she demanded.

Leticia was the only one who knew Ignoras secret and by plain-roommate-accident too. But no matter what, Ignoras planned to keep it that way. The fact that she had stumps from her knees down, only to be supported by artificial, machine-like calves and feet was both a sign of weakness and a scar of the past.

She would never reveal them.

And thankfully the survey corps uniform with its tight long pants and knee length boots never provided the chance for its exposure. On the other hand, Leticia, her fellow roommate since the beginning of the training corps, would've discovered sooner or later.

Leticia, sensing the change in Ignoras' mood, swiftly changed the topic.

"But before that, are you excited?!" Leticia exclaimed with both wonder and fascination. She ran ahead of the oriental before stopping, turning on her boots and twirling her way back to Ignoras.

"About the 52nd expedition?" Ignoras asked, to which Leticia briefly nodded her head.

Instantly Ignoras deadpanned, "No."

Leticia released a light chuckle. She had already expected such a reply from her all-so-serious best friend. But although Leticia was a rare optimistic 16 year old, she wasn't so stupid as to not understand why anyone feared expeditions.

Especially Ignoras, in whom Leticia had learnt had her whole ex-orphanage in the Shiganshina district destroyed and her siblings in the orphanage devoured by Titans. She still remembered a year ago, where Ignoras discovered the news only one week after the actual incident. During that time Ignoras was busy focusing on studies for the upcoming Training Corps examination and had no time to pay attention to the news on the streets.

Not knowing was her biggest regret.

By the time she had found out and had feverishly run to the borders of Wall Rose to confirm the truth, the number of refugees had overwhelmed the entrances and had stopped her from having even a glimpse of the gates.