Old Acquaintance

The next day as he wandered the streets in the weak sunlight Max met Master Lucian standing outside a corner coffee shop.

"Max, my boy, how are you?" he said.

His hair and beard were as white as ever but they lacked the glow they had once seemed to have.

"I'm all right, thank you Master. I'm just back for a short visit."

"Ah, then returning Out There, huh? And what do they say of us Out There?"

Max thought for a moment.

"Not much, to be honest," he said, "but there are rumours. That there never was any magic, for example."

Lucian frowned.

"Yes," he said, "I've heard of these rumours. Started by the Verities no doubt. It's not enough to steal our magic, they have to discredit us as well."

"We're sure it was the Verities then?"

"We have intelligence to that end, yes. They visit our land and are so jealous they resort to petty theft."

"I heard another rumour," said Max slowly, "that the child stone might not have left Fairyland, or even Magicopolis. Whoever stole it might have just taken it from the tower and left it somewhere."

"Did you indeed?" said Lucian, giving him a thoughtful look. "I can't divulge any information of that sort I'm afraid. But rest assured we're doing all we can to locate the stone."

He glanced at his watch.

"Well I'm afraid I need to go, council meeting to attend. Give my regards to Martha."

"I will. Glad I ran into you, hopefully we'll see each other again while I'm here."

"I'm sure we shall."

With that he walked away, hands clasped behind his back, and was lost from sight as he rounded a street corner.

Max sat quietly at the kitchen table again as Martha chattered cheerfully about her friends and what they'd said when they'd heard he was back and what his old school acquaintances were doing these days. He listened with half an ear. Finally she talked herself out and after a minute left the dinner to itself and came and sat across from him.

"How long are you staying?" she asked abruptly.

His eyes met her expectant ones and looked away again.

"Well," he said slowly, "I was planning on making it a short visit..."

As he continued talking her face fell further and further.

"So I was thinking maybe..."

He rocked his head from side to side and frowned as if he was thinking.

"About two weeks, maybe."

He'd planned originally for a few days, a week at most. Martha's face stopped falling and she looked thoughtful for a moment.

"I guess that's not too bad," she said.

There was a knock at the door. She went to answer it, and as soon as she was gone Max dropped his forehead to the table. Two weeks! There was the sound of the door opening, then he sat upright as he heard Martha say, "Lucian, what a pleasant surprise! Come in."

"Thank you, Martha," said the councilor as he entered. "I've been meaning to call in again but I've not found the time. Max being home does present a marvelous opportunity though."

They came through into the kitchen.

"And here's the man of the hour himself," said Lucian as Max stood to greet him. "Sit down, sit down. I trust you're keeping Martha proper company while you're here?"

"Oh yes, he is," said Martha. "I don't know what I've done without him the time he's been away."

Max stared down at the table uncomfortably while they talked about him, but he looked up sharply when Lucian said, "Would you mind leaving us for a moment, Martha? There's something I need to talk to Max about."

"Certainly," said Martha, giving the pot a final stir. "I'll just be upstairs."

"Thank you, I do appreciate it," said Lucian as she left the room.

He turned to Max but didn't sit down, hands clasped behind his back.

"I spoke with the council," he began, "and we've agreed to take you into our confidence."

Max remained silent, waiting.

"You mentioned this morning a rumour that the child stone never left Magicopolis. We now know this to be true."

"The stone has been here the whole time?"

Lucian nodded.

"But..."

He stopped. 'How?' sounded like a silly question when the stone was invisible. It could have been dropped in the street and no one would have had a clue. Lucian nodded again as he continued.

"Astonishing news, I know. We're still trying to track it, and we're close, but – we may need to ask for your assistance."

Max sat back, stunned.

"My – you want my help?"

Lucian nodded.

"But, what can I do that the council can't?"

"We're all old men, Max. We have certain resources available, but for something this important... Well I've known your family for a long time. We can trust you."

Max still didn't understand why they'd choose him – didn't they have anyone else? - but how could he refuse? He nodded.

"All right."

Lucian relaxed slightly.

"Thank you, Max," he said. "I knew we could count on you."

"What do you need me to do?"

"Meet me at the corner we were at this morning, outside the coffee shop. Eleven o'clock tonight."

"OK, I'll be there."

Lucian nodded.

"Good. I'd better go tell Martha she can come back down."

He left the room, leaving Max staring at the table wondering what he had got himself into.