Chapter 1

The waves lapped the sand covering Caroline's toes. She watched as the water curled back into the dark ocean taken grains of sand as its prisoner. A gust of wind swept through blowing her tangle of blonde curls away from her face. She dug her fingers into the sand harshly as tears seeped from her eyes. "why can't it be my why Grace!" she screamed at the clouded sky. Grace was Caroline's four year old sister who had just been diagnosed with A severe form of Leukemia. Caroline pounded the damp ground as she sobbed. She shook partly from the cold and partly from the mix of fury and sorrow. The clouds began to cry with her and soon she could no longer tell her own tears from the ones dripping from the sky. She stood up shakily immersing one foot into the water then the next. She took several more steps until the water was just above her waist. Water surrounded her. She felt like she was drowning no longer catching breathes in between her sobs. She began to sink into the ocean, relaxing her body as she waited for the ocean to carry her away. She looked up at the sky an watch the angry clouds spout water. A face blocked her view. His eyes the same color as the ocean freckled with gold,his hair the color of wet sand. He looked at her worriedly. "Are you ok?" his voice was soft and caring. Another tear slid down her face, he reached down and scooped her up in his arms holding her close to his body. Her dress draped over his arms skimming the water as they walked toward the shore. As the shore neared she realized how awful she must look. Her previously flawless make up and hair was probably destroyed. She could already feel her eye make-up underneath her eyes. When they got to shore he placed her carefully on her feet. "Are you ok?" he asked again she shook her head as Memories of the horrific evening she had just had flashed before her eyes. Her prom date ditching her for her best friend. Her little sister being diagnosed. What else could go wrong in her life. She felt arms in close around her. "I'm sorry" the boy whispered. She pulled away from him wiping her eyes. "It's not your problem" she snapped. She realized how rude she was being and she apologized immediately. "I'm so sorry, I'be had a really rough day I'm sorry. My name is Caroline by the way." "I'm Grant." He said sticking his hand out to shake hers. She grabbed his hand and they shook hands. "Let me walk you home." He said. She nodded her head as she shivered. "Here take this." he's aid as he handed her a jacket. "Thank you." She mumbled as they walked. They got to her house "Thank you for saving me." She whispered as she handed him his Jacket. "No keep it, in the promise of running into each other again." he gave the jacket back to her. He turned around and walked down her street. She stood at the door until he disappeared into the darkness.