13. Happiness

Imagine my surprise when Susan woke us up to go to school on Wednesday morning. Chris had just been arrested outside the building on Monday, and she was sending him back in two days after. She was very eager to get us out of the house. When questioned by Chris, she refused to say anything about it, but instead said she hoped that we’d have a good day, and hurried us out the front door. She was polite about it, but something was definitely going on.

School was surprisingly less dramatic than Monday’s fiasco. I think our peers were a little bit afraid of Chris since his arrest. Chris seemed okay with these new feelings toward him; he reacted kindly to the strained smiles and greetings. His smile never reached his eyes, though. I could tell that it hurt him, seeing the people he thought were his friends turn their backs on him.

 We took a seat in English class before he actually perked up and became truly interested in anything. For once, our teacher was giving an optional assignment. The prompt: what makes us happy. It was a basic topic, but in light of “recent events,” she said she felt like we all needed a break from hard work. It was after that announcement that Chris became himself again. I briefly wondered why that would have cheered him up, before Angie sat on top of my desk.

“So,” she leered, "how'd your boyfriend like his little stint in jail?" She had no right to ask that. 

"You know, Angie," I smiled in a moment of bravery, "You should really stop embarrassing yourself." The classroom was silent.

"Honey, believe me, I'm not embarrassed." She flicked her long blonde hair over her shoulder. I stood, startling her, and she toppled to the floor. Everyone burst into laughter, and Angie's face reddened in embarrassment and anger. She huffed and dramatically picked herself off of the floor.

"I told you." I shrugged, taking my seat again. Fuming, she spun around and looked at the teacher. 

"Mrs. Simmons! Lori just pushed me off of her desk!" She tattled, voice wavering like she was hurt.

 "Well Angie, you know my rules; you shouldn't have been sitting on the desks in the first place." I couldn't help my smile at the teacher's reply. Angie however, didn't appreciate it as much as I did. She whirled back around to face me.

 "I thought you'd learn not to mess with me after I sent your boy to jail, but apparently you're ugly and stupid. You're a brave little slut." She sneered. She didn't send Chris to jail. How could she—her phone! Monday, when she looked at me and pulled out her phone! I knew something wasn't right about that.

"You're such a bitch! You're the reason Chris got sent to jail?" One of our classmates turned on Angie. Chris had turned around too, his mouth agape.

"Y-you called the cops?!" He gasped in disbelief, "why?" Angie's face was scarlet with embarrassment. She'd been caught.

"Why? You embarrassed me in front of the whole class!" She shrieked, stamping her foot.

"How? What did I do to you?" He pleaded.

"You told me you'd rather have the ugly slut over me!" Angie cried, flinging her arms in crazed gestures.

"Don't you ever talk about Lori like that." He growled. "Do you ever wonder why no one likes you? You're so shallow, petty, and judgmental, and the only person you care about is yourself. " Now it was Angie's turn to stare in disbelief.

"Do you know who you're talking to?" She asked, offended.

"Yeah. A spoiled daddy's girl who can't handle being told 'no.'" Chris quipped angrily. I couldn't help but notice our teacher's bemused expression as she watched the exchange. Angie roared in anger. After putting up with her abuse for so long, no one would come to her aid.