Prologue

Maine ducked with each thunderous boom. 

She knew it was silly but she couldn't help it. It was just the same as when her kid brother flicked a towel in her face and laughed every time she blinked. It sounded like a mountainous rock was about to roll her flat. Maybe if it was the sound alone she'd adjust, but the cold rain and flashing forks kept her stuck in adrenaline mode.

The wind arose to push the still waters to choppy, which morphed into mountains of angry waves.

They were soaking wet while they were running their way back to the tent he build up early while she was busy with her exclusive pity party. RJ was running ahead of her, not even glancing over to check up on her. 

Once they reached the tent, he allowed her to get inside first. Unfortunately, they weren't running as fast as they thought they were and got completely soaked. 

She sat at the far end of the tent and hugged her knees covered with her dampened jeans as RJ started taking off his shirt. She felt the need to look away but despite the fact that she's freezing to death, she felt like her cheeks were burning. Besides, he's damn too hot to ignore.

"You can take your clothes off, kahit yung blouse mo lang. Baka magka-pulmonya ka nyan."

She looked down to check the obvious. Her clothes are wet and he was right. If she doesn't want to get pneumonia, she needs to take her clothes off. 

Hubad o pnuemonia? Take your pick, Nicomaine. Pero sa harap nya talaga? I have imagined doing this a million times in my head but definitely not like this. I am mess. No, hindi pwede. Hindi ako --

"It's okay, Maine. I'm harmless. Sandali.."

He turned around and started checking a small duffle bag that she barely noticed when they got inside the tent. The bag was filled with some snacks and water and it made sense to her. It was her idea to have a late night camping by the shore, but being the princess that she's used to, she did not bring anything before going there. 

Nakakahiya ka, Maine. 

She bow her head down when she felt like crying. It was the first night that RJ finally agreed on doing something fun with her. It was the first time in almost a month and she fucking blew it. Nothing has been going well for her and it's driving her crazy. She promised herself she won't be crying tonight. She promised herself that she will not cry herself to sleep.

But it looks like she's not even close.

"Here!"

Maine swiftly wiped the few drops of tears at the back of her hand before RJ turned to face her, carefully handing over a shirt.

"Suotin mo muna 'to."

He turned his back against her as a go signal that she should get changed. And so she, did. 

"Okay na." 

With even glancing at her, RJ moved a meter away from her, giving her enough space before he lied down.

"Sobrang lakas ng ulan and we can't run back to the house ng ganyan. Masyadong madilim. Dito na lang muna tayo matulog. You can use the bag as your pillow."

Then, that's it. She stared at his back for the next 5 minutes, hoping and praying that he'll turned around and talk to her while they wait for the heavy rain to stop. She hoped that they'll take it as a chance to talk about something relevant. She hoped he won't let her cry herself to sleep again. 

But he didn't. 

When she was certain he won't be turning around to face her, she finally lied down with her own back against his. She wanted to sleep but she couldn't. Maine hugged herself as she starts to shiver and the cold feeling that the rain and strong wind brought was eating her up. 

She was freezing, crying and silently sobbing when she felt RJ slightly moved behind her.

"Maine, are you okay?"

She simply nodded without saying a word while trying to keep her shoulders from shaking, because once she dare say a word, he will know she's crying. And she cannot let him see her crying again. 

"Maine, nanginginig ka. Come here."

He carefully grabbed her by the shoulders and moved his arm around her head to slowly help her rest her head on his arms. 

He pulled her in closer and with no hesitation, Maine wrapped her arms around his torso. In seconds, her body is moulded to his own, sharing his body heat as easily as she shares her heart. Her tears intensifies as she pulled him in closer, making them cuddle. Her tears were for both pain and relief. 

"Ssshhh.. Tahan na."

With one hand, he caressed her hair and planted a soft kiss on the top of her head. While his other hand reached in to rub her arms to help her feel warm as the rain gets even heavier by the minute.

In the darkness, their cuddles felt like a little touch of heaven - warm, and together, it was cozy.

She looked up to his face and saw him peacefully humming with his eyes closed. She silently pray to the high heavens that it will always be like this between her and RJ.

She prayed with all her heart that things between them were different.

"I love you, RJ."

But it isn't.

And that's the thing.

She loves him with everything that she is.

She tells him that every single day.

But he only answers with two damn words..

"I know."