Story Two: Flowers for Joyce

Flowers for Joyce

    based on the screenplay of Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Body.

       Spike's heart sank. He sighed, and thought of how Buffy must feel. He had collected a newspaper and was reading the obituary, and had seen that Joyce Summers, Buffy's mother, had died. He thought back to the day she went into the hospital for a cat scan, when he swore he would shoot Buffy, and he couldn't do it. He remembered running madly through the woods, with a shotgun in hand, until he came to the Summers' house to find a crying Buffy. He had found out that Joyce had been having problems, and was heading to the doctor often. And now she was dead.

       He thought about picking up something for Buffy and her sister, but he didn't think he'd be welcome. Maybe a bouquet of flowers, he decided. He could wait until it was dark and pick them up, and then he could pay his respects. Buffy's not going to want to see you, he told himself. But it didn't matter; this was for Joyce, not Buffy. He was his own person, if he wanted to buy flowers for Mrs. Summers, then he would darn well do it!

       When it finally got dark enough to get the flowers, Spike was able to go downtown to the florist's place. He had some spare change left to buy something nice; he didn't want it to look like he picked it himself. He watched as the lady picked a few lilies, tulips, and daisies, along with some ferns, and a red bow. He paid the lady and muttered his thanks, then left for Buffy's house.

       It seemed like it took him much longer than it normally did to get there, and as he walked, he felt more depressed than usual. When he got there, Xander was the first to spot him, along with Willow. He began to question Spike, and it really irritated him. "We know what you're here for." he accused.

       "I've come to pay my respects," he muttered in a low voice. He didn't need to get fired-up about Xander, because he was here for Joyce.

       "Yeah right, we know you just wanna get at Buffy. Leave. Now."

       That idiot, what does he know? "I'm not here for Buffy. I just want-"

       Xander interrupted him again, and this time, Spike got mad.

       "You know, I actually liked Joyce! At least she didn't treat me like a freak!" He threw the flowers on the ground angrily, and stormed off. If they didn't want him here, they wouldn't have him. Screw you, Buffy.