Ch.12: A Rabbit of A Confusing Time

🐰Ch.12: A Rabbit of A Confusing Time

☝️️Aaron Taylor Johnson as Jak Michel Daniels

I woke with a start, I look around me to see that I was alone. Yet with a little magic I sensed a barrier around the room- a barrier to keep me in. Created by none other than my mother. I let out a yawn, cover my mouth to ensure no demon tried to get in. Something my mom used to say to me whenever I yawned as a child. I blink the tiredness from my eyes.

That is until a man suddenly appeared, I froze. He seemed just as shocked as me. He wore a black tank top paired with gray sweatpants, his shoulders covered by a grey fleece blanket and his feet bare against the cold tiled floor. He grimaced at the bright lights that filtered in through the windows of my room. He squints past the light and his eyes land on me. They widen for a moment, before mild annoyance enter his gaze.

"What year is this?" He questions hoarsely, his voice thick with sleep.

"... 2016." I answer uncertain by these change of events.

His brow pinches together in confusion and mild irritation.

"Month and day?"

That I had to think about.

"... November the 7th." I answered unsure of what to make of this situation.

Who is this guy?

He had thick dark brown hair that had shades of red in it and blonde. His eyes blue like the sky after a hearty storm had ended. He was tan, he had an accent of some sort... Russian maybe.

"I've been brought three months back in time? What the hell." He mumble taking a moment to actually take in account of his surroundings; "I know you, you're Evelyn Raven. How the hell am I talking to you now?!" He demands running a hand through his wild array of curls.

"I don't know- I've never seen you. Before in my life." I reply feeling like I was about to have a panic attack.

"This doesn't make any sense. I had just met you a month ago. No wonder you had that secret smile on your face. Something important must transpire here... but what?" He questions pacing back and forth in front of my bed.

Few months time? Oh my fat ass.

"You're a Rabbit." I state in wonder.

Rabbits had been almost all but extinct all because some creatures among our kind discovered that if they cut off the feet of the Rabbit in their animal form they would receive their power of time travel. They nearly hunted them all to extinction. I've only ever read about them in beastologies. There was said to be only three maybe four left in existence.

He looks at me and frowns.

"Is that why I'm here? So you can know what I am- for the first time. No wonder you weren't all that surprised when I thought I had first met you." He rambles and my brain starts to hurt.

Ugh why would anyone want to time travel? It sounds so mind boggling.

"So that is what you are- right?" I question and he sighs, taking the seat at the side of my bed.

I had to turn to look at him.

"Are you going to tell me your name?"I ask genuinely curious.

He sighs contemplating his answer.

"In all honesty I have no idea what I'm doing here. But if this was supposed to happen. Our official meeting before I first meet you then I'll hope for the best that this will all work out." He takes a deep weary breath. "Jak Michel Daniels is the name I'm currently going by." He says reaching and shaking my hand and I smile.

"I've always dreamt of meeting a Rabbit. I'm sorry about your people. It must be hard to know your one of the last of your kind." I say squeezing his hand.

He grimaces.

"Yah, well I don't have much of a bleeding heart. I was pretty much abandoned at birth." He states with a shrug.

I frown. It was unheard of for a Rabbit to abandoned its young. Especially in a time where there barely hanging on with a string.

"Where's Conrad?" He asks and I blink in surprise.

"... Oh, um I think he may be in the kitchen. Im not sure, I've think I've been asleep for a bit." I answer feeling a little uneasy.

"I'm surprised he isn't glued to your side. You guys are pretty sickening sweet to be around. Can't keep your hands and eyes to yourself." He humors and my own brows pinch in confusion.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused and he immediately shuts down.

"Nothing- it doesn't matter now. I believe it's time for me to leave. I hope I have done what was needed to be done. I'm in some serious need of some major R&R." He yawns dismissively.

"Um good luck once you entered this room you won't be able to leave. My mother has put up a barrier. We aren't going anywhere." I inform him and he gives me a look that he thought I was insane.

"Why the hell would they barrier lock you in here?" He asks shocked and I smile.

"Because I'm a whole lotta wicked." I tease.

"... Злая (wicked)?"he questions in utter confusion.

My Russian was very limited- almost nonexistent.

"I'm currently a ward of the government." I state hoping that'll clear up his confusion.

"Prisoner? Дерьмо (Shit)!" Jack exclaims and I smile.

"Yup but hey I put a small dent in my sentence. 19 more years to go." I joke.

"What did you do? Rearrange a woman's face?" He questions and I couldn't exactly disagree with that being Sallie's face in the event was rearranged into a gecko's.

"In a sense, I was also accused of killing a human and revealing myself to a human." I reply and he sighs deeply.

"And they gave you what? Life and you've been working a bunch of jobs?" He questions and I snort.

"20 years- for revealing myself and transforming a human. They couldn't keep the manslaughter on the table being their is no evidence and I didn't kill a human." I state happily and he gives me a weird look.

Then he chuckles as if delighted by something.

"Can't kill a human if they're not human at the time. Got to love loop holes." He humors and I smile widely at him.

"I will not claim to agree or disagree with you." I state when suddenly I felt the barrier go down.

I turn to look at the door to see Conrad, Scotty and my mother filing in only to freeze when they see Jak.

"Well time for me to make my escape. Catch up with you later Evelyn- oh by the way remember to pretend you've never met me before when you see me again." He states stomping his foot three times.

I froze as a swirling portals appears just beneath his feet. He salutes my visitors before allow himself to fall backwards with his arms spread out.

"Who the fuck was that?!" Scotty demands in shock and I smile feeling just a little bit mystified.

"That was a Rabbit, and I think he wants to be my friend." I inform him giddily.