The Day She Was Brought To The Other World

"Mama, why is it when you look in the mirror you're a girl, but when I look into the mirror I become a boy?" Rin asked waving at her reflection. She was four at the time, seeking her mother's attention as usual when she popped the question.

"What are you talking about?" Her mother Lily asked paying her little attention. She kept her hand steady as she applied dark red lipstick. She was running late for work and had no time to partake in small chitchat with her daughter.

Rin leaned closer to the bathroom mirror, pointing at her reflection. "See? That's not me. It's a boy. He keeps copying me." She glared at the glass. "Stop it."

Her mother rolled her eyes. She would never understand children, or Rin. "Sorry, Rin. I'm late for work. Let's talk later, okay?" she said patting her daughter's head. She ran off before she had the chance to protest.

"Hey!" she yelled after her. She huffed in annoyance. "No one ever listens to me," she muttered. She turned to the mirror, giving her reflection a hard look before she stuck her tongue out at it.

As did the boy in the mirror.

Rin had always believed herself to be insane. Ever since the day she found out that seeing that boy―that thing in the mirror wasn't normal. When did she start to see her distorted image? Who knows, but it had ruled her life ever since. This insanity of hers didn't limit itself to mirrors. Oh no. It took the full course. Whenever her image was reflected off pools of water, whenever her photo was taken, whenever she was drawn, she didn't see herself, she saw him. It had been so long since she saw her true self that she didn't know how she looked like anymore. How did she look like? Did she look like him? These questions would always drive her mad. Not that she wasn't already.

Rin supposed she should come forward with this illness of hers. Maybe then would she find someone willing to help her, maybe then she would be able to receive treatment and finally be cured. These thoughts had crossed her mind many times before and she knew these were nothing but sugar-coated dreams. With her mother working overseas, no friends, and her status as a social outcast, there was no one totalk to. Even if there were, they wouldn't be able to help her. They didn't understand what it was like, and they never would. She knew if she were to tell someone about her illness, she'd be taken away and her barrier around other people would only grow stronger.

Rin pulled the covers away as she woke up to the painfully bright sunlight. She groaned, forcing herself off her bed as she made her way to the bathroom. "Another day of school," she muttered. She dreaded the thought of spending eight hours crammed into a classroom with her annoying classmates.

She turned on the tap, splashing her face with cold water. It immediately woke her up. With her eyes shut tight, she searched the wall for the hand towel hanging by a hook. She grabbed it, wiping her face clean of excess water. When she opened her eyes, she found them meeting his. She quickly looked away and grabbed her toothbrush. So did he. She wet it, squeezing toothpaste onto the brush. As did the boy. This annoyed Rin. She always felt mocked when looking into the mirror. It was as if her distorted image knew what bothered her, thus imitating everything she did, so she turned around, her back facing the mirror as she finished her morning routine.

Rin ate her breakfast and changed into her uniform soon after. She grabbed her school bag, ready to head out when she realized she'd forgotten to tame her unruly blonde hair. She cursed under her breath as she headed back inside.

She climbed up the stairs, opening the door to her room. It was there she found her white ribbon sitting by her bedside. She grabbed it, sitting in front of her dresser with an attached mirror to it. She stared right into it. It was the only time of day when she would dare to look right at him.