-Chapter 1-

"Come on Theo, lets take a walk." I say to my sobbing, seven year old brother who's next to me in my closet hiding. "Ok Jane." He says through a sniffle. We emerge from our hiding place and slip through my bedroom window. I hold Theodore's hand as we walk down an abandoned, rocky path that leads to a old but sturdy swing I found one day. Wow. Only two minutes of walking and I can still hear mom and dad screaming their heads off. I think to myself. We reach the swing, Theo and I sit down; I gently push the swing with the toes of my shoes. I stare off into the distance, watching the small beach in front of me,listing to the waves gently crashing ashore. "It's beautiful out here don't you think?" I ask. "Yeah, I wish we could live in the sea." Theodore says. I gently rub his arm. "When can it end sissy? When will they stop? When can we be happy again like before?" Theo asks. "I don't know Theo...but I promise one day, somehow, I'm gonna make it better I promise Theo." I say. Theodore looks at me with his big,blue eyes and says "How? How will you fix it? Your only sixteen!" He says. There's a long pause. "How would we get away?" He asks. "I don't know yet, but i'll think of something." I say. "And what about Allen?" He asks, a small smirk appearing on his face. My eyes widen at the question. "You love him sissy, don't you?" He asks. Do I? I don't really know. I avoid Theodore's question. "Um, come on Theo, let's go to Basil's while they get mom." I say. I pull out my cell from my back pocket and call Basil, she answers. "Hello?" She asks. "Hey Basil, it's Jane, mind if Theo and I come over for a while?" I ask. "Fighting again?" She asks. "Yep." I say. "Ok, mom says it's alright, come on over." She says. "Ok, thanks, be there in five." I say and hang up the phone. I look at the violent scar on Theo's right arm. I remember that night way to clearly, if there was anything that could erase any time or place in your mind I would choose this one. My mother and father had been fighting, Theo was just a baby and I was seven, mom had taken us in the car and tried to drive us somewhere else, but being way past drunk she rammed another car. All I remember is getting Theo's seat unlocked and holding it tightly against me, sheltering him from the spray of shinny, gleaming glass from the windshield coming toward us. Theo escaped with only a piece of glass in his arm; I got the worst of it, glass and other bits of the car coated my back, my right hand from my thumb to forefinger split and my right hip joint completely crushed. Theodore, mom, the victims from the other car and I were rushed to the hospital immediately. The doctors said I was in a coma thee entire time for three days. The doctors did a  immediate surgery on my right hip, they were able to create a new joint and fix mine. Now I am covered in terrible ghastly scars and a limp. I shiver at the thought of being back in that hospital with such pain, such terrible pain that I wouldn't even wish upon my worst enemy. We arrive at Basil's. She answers to my knock on thee door, her short, dark curls cascading over her shoulders. "Are you ok?" She asks. "Yeah, were fine." I say. Basil let's us in, Theodore goes to lay with Basil's seven year old brother Aron. Basil and her mother stay with me as I call the local police and tell them everything that happened and were I am now. After the call Basil and I go up stairs, Basil shuts the door and sits next to me in the beanbag chair. "So..." She says. "So?" I ask. "What now?" She asks. "I don't know, everything's shutting down and people are leaving." I say. "What has become of this world?" She asks no one in particular. "It's gone to bloody torture that's what it's gone to." I pause. "We have to get out of here!" I say. "And what about Allen? He'll be heartbroken if you leave without him." She says.