Time Machine (Short Tale)

Time Machine

KingAchilles03

There was once a prince in a faraway kingdom, living happily with his family in a big castle where he could have everything with just a flick of his finger. He was the only child of his parents; his father who was a very well-known in their country who became a king because of his bravery and his mother who was a very understanding and kind-hearted queen. Everyone in the castle envied the prince because of the kind of life he had. However, the prince has so many regrets the way he lived. He wished that he was not born the way he was born because no matter how rich they are, still he was not able to do everything that he wanted to do because of his status, living in a monarchy. He did not talk with his parents about this feeling of him and instead live the life as it should be being the son of a king and queen.

When the sun was about to depart while the red-orange sunset was making a near bloody sky, he stood behind the windows and watched the birds flying freely and the clouds as they walked toward the east. He had the green-eyed-monster while looking at these and brought him to reminisce all the events he had experienced, good or bad which greatly contributed to who he was at present. He dreamt of just being a normal person, who can talk with others if he wanted to, who can make love with others as he wished, who can live without a high expectation of many people around him. He was making a visualization of what might happen in the future if he had the latter life, and he smiled a bit, despite the wealth he had, he still believed that these would not give him true bliss.

He had so many what ifs in mind. If this happened, what would he become in the future? Suddenly, a very bright light flashed in his room. It was a very fast even that he did not even recognize what clearly happened. He went to that place where the light came earlier and he found out a time machine –a machine where he can go back at the past or even see the future. It was a machine at his height and the width just fitted his broad shoulders. It was a typical machine, not so many lights, rectangular box in shape and a red button at the height of his chest. He did not know where it came from and what its purpose was, but due to his curiosity about the machine, he pushed the red button and all of a sudden, he vanished.

The king and the queen went upstairs to visit the prince. They brought a box containing objects piled carefully inside it. Their eyes depicted a bit of worry, about something from the past that they were not able to talk with for long. They could not hide the perturbation upon their faces as they stepped on the shiny floors of their castle leading to the door of their son's room. Few minutes had passed, they reached the room, and the king looked at the queen, eye to eye and nodded with one another. The king slowly turn the silver-colored doorknobs while the queen was holding his from behind. Together, they pushed the door and widely opened it. They called the prince but after few calls from them, still, the prince did not show up. They were alarmed with what happened and immediately called for the help of the people to look for their son.

Meanwhile, the prince appeared in a year where war was happening in their kingdom. The soldiers were guarding the gate of the castle while archers were positioned on top of the walls getting ready to fire when the need arose. The prince was witnessing it all as he could walk along the battlefield without being hurt. He had no idea of this event perhaps he was not yet born during that time. Few meters away from the gate of the castle, the enemies were able to escape the defense and head towards the armies defending the castle. The guards were battling near the gate, they were outnumbered as the archers were positioned on the walls. Having seen this, some of them went down to support their allies. Bombs exploding, men fiercely and bravely fought with one another, one was defending while the other was conquering. These events were clearly seen by the prince and when the battle near the gate was soon stopped due to many deaths, a soldier defending the castle was reaching for his breath. He was shocked how his face was nearly reflected from that person, then another man came to rescue him, wearing a different battledress in semblance of a king's battle gear. He walked right beside the two mighty soldiers to listen to their conversation, however, he can only see what was happening and other senses were not functioning in his body. They headed to a nearby house, the one carrying the injured with his shoulders while the wrath was still going on. He followed the two. They came to the said house and found a woman, nearly dead while a baby was beside her. The injured soldier immediately went beside the woman, talked for a second then she died while catching the hand of the baby. The soldier was injured in his chest but still breathing. He carried the baby and gave it to his ally, telling him to escape. As they approach the door, they were seen by the enemies. They run as fast as they can to escape as no one was there to defend them unless they reached the gate of the castle. The injured soldier shielded the arch coming to them, defended the baby and the ally until he lose his breath. The other man carrying the baby was able to reach the castle and lead their armies to fight back. They were able to claim the victory over their conquerors after a day of bloody war because of that man. He carried the baby with his two hands, a woman, whom the prince regarded as the man's wife was on his side proclaiming triumphant in front of the armies and people of the kingdom.