intro.

The sound of my father's jazz music blasted through my small ears; as everyone danced around me to his beautiful music. I nudged my brother's shoulder, as he watched our father in amazement. "This is amazing," I said looking over at my brother, He was nodding his head to the music while twisting his short dreads.

"Yeah, dad sounds great. I want to be just like him when I'm older." He smiled and continued watching my dad and his band perform.

Sometimes when he had performances in town he would bring me and Montrel to watch. Since I was only seven years old and Montrel was ten, we're legally too young to be in the club but my dad let us sit backstage to watch him. Since our mom was in the army and our dad traveled a lot with his music group, we had to live with our grandmother.

"You kids enjoying yourselves?" my dad asked, walking backstage. we nodded. "Okay then, well I have a few more songs then we can head home."

He walked back on stage and that's all I remember before dozing off on Montrel's shoulder.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! I was awoken by the sound of gun shots and screaming. I looked at the stage and saw my dad laying in a pool of blood. I looked at Montrel and saw tears rolling down his face as he stared at my dad. His cries were silent...

That's when everything changed...