PICKING SIDES [] CHAPTER 6

Mom decided that now was the time to make a show that she was devastated about me moving out. "Grace, you must come visit. You know how I worry."

I tried not to roll my eyes. "Ok Mom, will do."

"I made you and Jason some sandwiches for the ride," she said, hugging me close.

"Mom that's not necessary."

She tightened her hold on me and smiled brightly. "Of course it is. I'm just so sad you guys aren't staying for lunch. I was going to grill up some salmon."

"Maybe another time," Jason offered, looking uncomfortable.

Mom went up to him and grabbed hold of his arm. She batted her lashes. "You are always welcome here darling. Please come with Grace. God knows she's not going to visit herself."

I tensed up, seeing her stand a little too close to Jason. She was now rubbing his arm. Oh my God, she was going to make a move on Jason.

"We need to get going," I said, looking away. I was horrified at Mom's behaviour but what did I expect. That she'd behave like a mother?

Jason shot me a warning look. "Don't worry Miss. Anderson, I'll make sure she visits."

Mom was simply ecstatic at the news. She leaned in even further. "Wonderful! And you feel free to come anytime."

I spun around and walked out the door. I couldn't handle this. I didn't care if Jason thought I was a mean person who didn't care about her own parent. Especially when nothing could be more true.

A couple of minutes later, Jason slipped outside, looking a little bewildered.

I didn't bother asking as I lifted my suitcases off the porch. For all I knew, she'd tried to kiss him.

Jason swiftly swiped them from me and I gave him an irritated look. He ignored me and I walked to the gleaming Porsche in the driveway. I got in and swiftly proceeded to stare out the window as Jason started the car.

We drove the whole way in stony silence and I kept replaying Mom's behaviour until I was sure I'd drawn blood on my palms. I wanted to lash out at something, anything. Jason occasionally looked over but didn't say anything if he saw me seething.

We pulled into a big lot and I tried not to look horrified when I saw the huge house. I'd asked for a distraction and I sure as hell got one.

What was I doing here? The property was the definition of poised and elegant. Things I was not. The lawn was immaculate, vibrant green and freshly cut. The garden looked well-kept and the massive windows gleamed where the sunlight hit it. The house was an equal mix of modern and European inspired architecture.

My palms were starting to sweat. "I can't stay here."

Jason looked unamused. "I'm sure you'll get used to it. They all do."

I ignored the dig. It didn't matter if he thought I was a gold digger. I've been called worse.

Dear God, was that a butler by the door? I hadn't even seen a butler before in my life. I didn't belong here.

"Hey Vince," Jason yelled out.

The man smiled warmly and came up to grab my luggage. I wanted to tell him I could do it myself but I didn't know if it would be inappropriate.

"Son," Vince nodded in greeting. Jason surprised me by grabbing one of the suitcases from Vince and walking up the steps with him. He said something and Vince threw his head back and laughed. They seemed incredibly comfortable with each other, it didn't seem like an employer-employee relationship at all. I grabbed my purse and walked quickly to catch up.