chapter 3

"Kailey attacked me with cookies!" Nora yelled, bursting into the room without a knock.

I looked up from Scott's math notes, a piece of candy sticking out of my mouth.
"Trying to diet again, Nora?" I asked sucking the whole piece in.

"Trying being the key word again. Why does it have to be so friggin hard?"

"Maybe because hanging out with foodies is not one of the steps to lose weight" I pointed out. But I knew she had no choice. She's the only one who thinks that dieting is not as bad as starving in this clique. And it doesn't make sense to me because dieting is starving.

"Why are you dieting anyway? It's not like there can be any occasion till the holidays, which is months away."

"Exactly" she said, " no dinners, dates, marriages, and the tests are nearing. This is supposed to be the perfect time to diet"
"Or it could be the perfect time to study, cuz just like you pointed out, we have tests" I pointed at the books I was surrounded by, for emphasis.

"Meh, we've enough time for that" she dismissed the subject with a wave of her hand while my jaw was hurting, after hitting the hard ground.

"Tomorrow, Nora. The tests start tomorrow."

She looked at me, saying 'I've got bigger problems' with her eyes while Kailey entered the messy dormitory, eating a chocolate chip cookie and holding four more in her other hand.

Nora instantly went on her full on glaring mode at her.
"Why is she starting at me like that?" she asked, genuinely scared of her own friend. I shrugged at her, getting back to math.

"Cookies?" I heard Kailey offering, hopefully, followed by a bang of the door and footsteps storming away.

***

I stood outside the door to hell, my hands sweaty and clasped together.
Sad people with pale faces were sitting inside, knowing that they were stuck in there for two hours. I took cautious steps inside, and sat at my desk, as one of the furies handed out my math test.

Yup, it was finally the dreaded day I was waiting for. Any other subject I could take. But these, with their cruel variables and evil equations, they managed to confuse me every single time they entered my sight. I've aced every other subject, but not failing math alone took a great deal of my time.

Keeping my phone into the basket they passed around, I looked to my right to pass it to the next person. I almost dropped the basket in surprise. Joana smirked right back at me, flicking back her hair as she put her phone into the basket too.

I groaned under my breath. Just what I needed right now. Taking a few deep breaths to get rid of all thoughts, I plunged myself into the flow of equations.

About two hours of bent heads later, I finally finished attempting all the questions and took a look around.

Most of the students were writing in a hurry after wasting half of the time. There were the few nerds who finished an hour ago and were going to go crazy out of boredom. Joanna seemed to have finished too. She had her hands under the desk, her long dark hair covering whatever she was doing. I leaned back on my chair to get a better look to see her typing. She had a mobile under her desk!

I looked at the teacher who was almost dozing on a desk in the front facing the students. I was going to give her in when the weird Jade on the screen caught my eye. Curiosity got the better of me as I started leaning towards her to get a better angle of the screen. She stood up suddenly, making me fall in surprise.

Everyone stared at me on the floor, the bored ones glad for the entertainment.

"Mrs Galvin, I think Jade here is cheating." Joanna said loudly to wake her up from her partially asleep state.