Chapter 1

"This is going to be the start of something great for you. You can do this. No need to be worried. God's got you" Meryl says staring at herself in the mirror.

She is starting her first day at her new job. She is a preschool teacher. After some confidence issues after her previous job, she is extra nervous today for her first day.

She gathers her lunch, water, and her purse before heading out the door. She closes her door, holding onto the door handle longer than usual, before finally letting go with a deep breath and heading to her car.

She is quiet through her whole ride to work. Normally she is singing along to the radio, sometimes even talking to herself, but not today. Today she just can't. As she pulls up, after her very short commute, she takes a deep breath and turns the car off. Sure, she'd been her a few days last week to get her classroom ready, but today was the first day with the kids. She'd be fine if it was just the kids coming in today but the parents get to spend the day with them. That's what has her nervous. She does well around children but adults can overwhelm her, something not many people understand. She shakes off the feelings of doubt and grabs her things heading inside.

"Meryl! Welcome! You are excited for the first day?" Jamie Cramer, the director and owner of the school asks.

"Yes. A little nervous but excited as well."

"Oh no need to be nervous. You'll be just fine. The children and parents will love you. Go on in and get settled. That will help you relax."

Meryl thanks Jamie with a smile, hoping it was a convincing smile. She was just about to open her classroom door when she hears Jamie call after her.

"Oh Meryl!"

"Yes?" Meryl says as she turns to face Jamie who is coming up to her quickly with a piece of paper.

"I forgot, we had a child just register. She is in both your morning and afternoon class. Here is your new class list."

"Oh thank you" she says, taking the list, looking it over while she heads into the room.

She looks over all 12 names on her list, happy that one more child was added to her class, making an even number and the two groups even now. She reads through the names, trying to figure out which child is the new addition. She quickly notices, not remembering the unique name. She puts the list down, tidying a few things around the room and getting herself ready.

"Good morning Meryl. Ready for a great day?" Kendal Philips, her co-operating teacher says as she walks in.

"I think I am. I was worried before but now that I'm in the room, I'm not so worried anymore. I don't know what it is."

"I do. It's the feeling of being content and being in the right place. God led you here for a reason."

Meryl is thankful to have fellow Christian working with her. They can really relate to each other as well as encourage each other, build each other up in their walks with Christ as they work together.

"Oh did you hear we have another child now?" Meryl asks.

"Yes. Should I make her name tags and things now?"

"Yea. I want to have everyone's things ready for when they get here. If you'll write her name tag and get it ready, I'll write her name on her cubby and add her to the charts."

"Sounds good" Kendal says and they get to work.

~

Meryl and Kendal are now waiting for the first child and parents to come through the door. It will be any minute now and Meryl is surprisingly calm. She jumps a bit when the door opens. She turns and sees a little girl and a lady who she guesses is her Mom.