Prologue

"... Set... fire... given more than enough opportunities..."

I shut my eyes as I tried to tune out the principal's voice. I was in major trouble. Not like you flunked three classes trouble, this was closer to the about to get expelled trouble. "It'll be all right," my twin brother said from the seat next to me. I felt him grab my hand and squeeze it tightly.

I opened my eyes and turned my head to look at him. "I really doubt that, Colt. It doesn't really sound good in there."

He, despite the mess we were in, smiled. "And here I thought you were concentrating on not listening in."

I rolled my eyes, "I can't help it. It's like trying not to see something right in front of me." I sighed. "I'm going to get expelled, Colt."

He scowled, "They can't expel you, Nikita."

I scoffed, "I set a classroom on fire, Colt. I am fairly certain that they will expel me."

"They don't have any proof," he replied.

"They don't need it," I told him. "They'll use my past... infringements. They'll say that's the cause of my expulsion."

Colt glared straight ahead, "That's stupid."

"But it's true," I said. "They can't understand it, how I do the things I do. Once or twice, they'll write off as faulty wiring or some other thing humans tell themselves. But..." I trailed off as I searched for the words.

"People fear what they can't understand," Colt continued knowing what I was trying to communicate.

I nodded, "And people hate what they fear."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I leaned into him, resting my head on his shoulder. We stayed like that for a while until the office door opened. We both jerked up out of our seats. Gran came out and ushered us out before the principal could do more than glare at me. We didn't get along too well. "What happened?" Colt asked once we were outside.

Gran was silent and her face guarded. I sighed again, "I was expelled, wasn't I?"

Her façade held for a few second before it dropped and wariness edged its way onto her features. "Yes." I tried not to let the disappointment show on my face. "And they blacklisted you to the other human school close by."

I cringed. The situation was worse than I thought. "Where are we going to go next year?" Colt asked.

"We?" I questioned. "You and Lane can still go here."

Gran couched and we looked at her. "The school said it would be best if they did not return either."

I grit my teeth. "I ought to-"

"Calm, Nikki," Colt said slapping a hand over my mouth. "Think happy thoughts."

He removed his hand and I gave him a murderous smile. "Happy enough for you?"

He rolled his eyes. "A little too much attitude."

I stuck my tongue out before turning back to Gran. "What are we going to do?"

She sighed heavily. "The four of you will go to school in Murkwell next year."

Colt and I stopped cold. "Murkwell?" he repeated. "As in the town for less than normal people?"

Gran nodded. "You said four," I said and they both looked at me. "You said the four of us. Gabriel too?" She nodded. "And here I thought I was done playing human."