Chapter Sixteen

Helpless

I didn't know what I'd expected when Derek said he would be keeping an eye on me at school. I guess I had just assumed not much would change. I certainly wasn't expecting him to be waiting for me in the school parking lot. He was at my truck, opening the door for me within seconds of my putting the vehicle in park. Despite having seen me earlier today he did a quick visual scan to make sure I was uninjured.

"Morning," he said to Lucy and Colt as they got out.

Lucy nodded to him quietly before waving and running off. Colt studied him for a long minute, debating something in his head. "I'll catch you in class," he told me, turning to leave.

"Colt?" I stepped towards him, noting that Derek shadowed my movements. "Colt!" He ditched me! I sighed, grabbed my bag and turned to Derek. "What are you doing?"

He was walking so close behind me that I could practically feel his breath on the back of my neck. If it weren't vaguely annoying, I might have flushed. After this morning I had to use makeup and tighten the drawstrings of my hoodie so that a brand-new bruise on my neck was hidden. Next time Derek tries to give me a hickey, I'm just going to break his nose instead.

"You remember that we aren't supposed to like each other, right?" Already people were staring, and I could catch snippets of whispered conversations. It made me want to hide. Being the center of attention was not good, not for me. Lane or Colt could handle it, but I was so often on the verge of losing my temper and lighting something on fire that having eyes on me made me extremely nervous.

"You remember I said I would protect you?" Derek grunted, eyeing everyone around us, careless of the hushed words and watching eyes.

"Yes," I replied, the hair on the back of my neck rising. I was trying to fight irritation. I wasn't a huge fan of gossip, especially gossip involving me or my family. "To you, that involves hovering over me and breathing down my neck all day?"

"Yes," he answered, his voice serious as he opened the door for me. "Also glaring at anyone who gets too close to you."

"Of course," I muttered sarcastically. "How could I leave that out?" I stopped, stepping to the side of the hallway. "Derek, I told you, no one is stupid enough to attack me here."

"They attacked you on my territory," he replied, eyes flashing. "I'm not taking any chances with your safety."

I couldn't think of anything to argue with. I wanted to though. I didn't like people thinking I was defenseless.

"Nikita!"

Derek went tense, turning towards the voice. I put a hand on him arm, I didn't have a hope of restraining him but my touch should keep him calm. "Don't attack my best friend, it'll take me forever to find a replacement for Kyle to steal."

Alijania finally reached us, shoving through throngs of people without a care for them. Her lavender eyes spared a glance for Derek before focusing on me. Concern was written all over her face. "The entire school is talking about you," she informed me. "I thought it was a joke until I talked to Kyle."

"The entire school?" I repeated, trying not to feel stressed. I turned to Derek accusingly. "You told your pack?" I hissed at him.

He nodded unapologetically. "I can't be with you every second during school, my pack members will look after you when I can't."

I felt a large flash of anger. "I am not a child in need of babysitting," I bit out.

"Someone tried to kill you," Alijania reminded me in a whispered. "Nikita, this isn't a joke!"