Chapter 2

Morning came quickly and soon we were walking to work because we couldn't afford to travel in public transportation twice a day; it is either we walked to walk and traveled home or traveled to work and walked home

On our arrival we were barely greeted. When master came into sight I felt Nelo grow stiff alongside me. I had hatred for this man beyond explanation because of his deeds towards my sister yesterday.

I also felt guilty because it was me that she was representing, and if it was for defending me he wouldn't have gotten a reason to rape her.

She was hardly talking and I didn't want to complicate things any further. 

The day passed by casually with master of course having one of his flings and Nelo and I doing routine chores. 

Today during Master's special activity, I sneaked out to see father and brother while thy were on their breaks. Nelo was being depressed in a corner of the house somewhere, but when I called for her she wouldn't respond and I swore I searched the entire house, well except for his bedroom but every place else, so upon not locating her I assumed she was hiding out at some secret place that I didn't know about. 

"Hello father." I greeted him with every ounce of respect I had within me. He gave me the warmest smile. "Hello my princess, what has lead you out here, knowing the danger you may be putting yourself in?" 

My excuse for just wanting to see him because I missed both  him and my brother, would have been considered absurd to my father. 

"Um...just, I don't know....my legs just lead me out here." I gave him a cheeky grin and immediately his face became stern. "Adama!" 

I bowed my head with embarrassment. Then I noticed a slow smile crept on his lips. "I missed you too, princess." My grin grew wider than that of the Grinch's. I threw myself at him and gave him the tightest and sincerest hugs ever. 

He returned my gesture willingly. After a few minutes of lingering in my father's grasp and allowing the feeling to sink in, I eased myself out of the welcoming hug to look at him with questioning eyes.

"Where's Kwamie?" Father sighed. "They have assigned him to another plantation, so you won't be seeing him that often." 

My heart sunk in sorrow. "Did he do something wrong?" My big brown lens searched my father's roughly carved face for answers. 

"They consider it a promotion." He replied. Kwamie, must be so bitter at the moment. 

Silence fell between us and then it was soon broken. There was a small crowd of white folk that came around the corner of the mansion, mostly men to be precise but what was most outstanding was the little black girl that they were dragging along with a white boy, whom looked like the same age as the little black girl.

Only thing though was that that little black girl wasn't that little, for I knew her better than any of those chauvinists dragging her like a piece of used cloth. She hung her head in disgrace as she just willing and weakly allowed the men to trail her along. Father was to his feet before I could say hi, his legs stretched towards the men carrying the next precious thing to his heart. 

His daughter and my sister, Penelope.

*********************************************************************************************

We were on the bus on our way home. Of course we had to sit where the coloreds were assigned to be seated. 

In low whispers I scolded Nelo. "What were you thinking?.....Are you stupid?......Do you know how disgraceful that makes you look and not only you but father?"

My questions which I wanted to answers to but came off as rhetorical  kept flowing. 

I felt eyes on me but it felt like these eyes were probing my body intensely. My eyes traced along the parts of my body that were stinging and soon they reached up to capture the culprit.

They were the biggest set of green eyes that stared at me like that and I felt like I've seen them before. For a moment his pale fingers tapped on his legs as if nervous but then as realization struck him and he realized that he was locking gazes with a coloured girl his eyes drifted away. 

Today was one of chaos. Father had gotten beaten to a pulp because he was trying to stand up for his daughter; poor father. 

I looked back at the white boy who was staring at me before, only this time he was glancing between me and my sister. I looked over my shoulder at my sister to see her eyes welled up with tears

I sighed. 

I figured that white mystery must have been eavesdropping. His eyes caught mine once more but this time his was pleading with me. 

It seemed like he was begging for me to be less harsh on her. I was confused. 

Our 'stop' came quickly and I couldn't help but to take one last look at him. He was handsome and I now remember where I once saw him before.

The market! 

A.N

I know that this is a slow and short chapter but I promise not all are going to be like this. Forgive my grammatical errors. 

Thank you for your support.