Ch : One - The First day of the Rest of Our Lives

The two of us stood in the grass under the shade of a tall tree that provided plenty of shade. We were holding hands.  Our fingers where intertwined. Arebella was crying softly. I could tell she was trying desperately to hold back her tears. I could feel her howl body trembling. I had no idea how she was holding herself together as well as she was. She had always been more emotional then, well anyone I know.

I desperately wished I could comfort her but I never knew how. Even though she was my twin we could not be more different from one and other. I have always been very confident and got along with almost everyone I met. I am very popular at my school. Arabella is the opposite. She’s very soft spoken, and distrustful of almost everyone. Even me. Her attitude makes it very hard for people to get along with her. She is what some people call a loner.

I peeked over to Arabella and she was staring at her black leather boots. I did not dare to break her train of thought out of fear she might break down. I chose to survey the space around me.

There were many people standing around. Some I knew most I have never seen before. It was a nice day out. The grass was green and the sun was out. There was not a cloud in the sky. There was a slight breeze that carried the sent of fresh cut grass from somewhere off in the distance. Normally on a day like this Arabella would be outside enjoying the day. But not today.

Arabella tightly squeezed my hand. I fallowed her line of sight to see that the time had come. We both watched as the two cherry oak coffins started there decent into the ground. Where they would rest in the ground for the rest of eternity.

My chest started to tighten up and I became overwhelmed by the need to breath. I feel like I was suffocating. I think I’m having my first panic attack. I think the realization that I was never going to see my parents again was too much for me to handle.

“Alaric, deep breaths.” Arabella told me softly.

I took her word for it. Panic attacks are something she is very familiar with.

In and out. In and out. In and out.

My breathing started to slow. It was almost back to normal.

Now that my breathing was back to normal I noticed that the coffins where fully in the ground and people had started to drop there flowers in on top of them. I looked over to Arabella and she nodded to me.

We walked up still holding hands and reached out our hands over the howls that held our parents. I looked at the red rose and pink lily that I held. Our parent’s favorite flowers. It felt like torture to let them go but I finally managed. It was the most depressing thing I have ever seen.

“Are you okay?” I asked my sister.

She did not speak she just shook her head no.

We stepped back and watched as the grave diggers covered up our parents to never be seen again. When they were done a hand was placed on my shoulder. I did not have to look to know who it was.

It belonged to Samantha. Our next door neighbor and our moms best friend. She stood there with her daughter Charlotte. Charlotte was the same age as us thirteen and Arabellas best friend. They had been friends sense the first day they moved in next door to us four years ago. They had been kind enough to let us stay with them for the last few days. Sense the accident. It’s not like we had anywhere else to go. We had no other family. I guess now it was only me and Arabella.

“Is it time?” Arabella asked.

“Yes. She’s waiting over there for you guys.” Samantha told us. It was obvious that she was upset. If she could I think she would like to keep us.