Chapter 1

~Owen's POV~

It was the end of summer break, and many teens had just begun to reconnect with their friends for the new school year. I had spent most of my break hanging out with her. We sat together on the disused park bench, saying nothing. She wore a royal blue sundress with a white cardigan over it; I wore a white T-shirt and a somewhat worn pair of jeans.

Her beautiful blonde hair cascaded luxuriously around her shoulders, and I remembered why I fell in love with her. She was simply amazing in every conceivable way. Summer Brooks was the most gorgeous girl in the school.

But she was also mine.

I brush some stray strands of golden floss away from her face, staring into her eyes as green as the tops of trees. She was aptly named Summer, as even during wintertime she couldn't be described. It was wonderful. And to think, I had been just another geek who dared to talk to her, held high above on her pedestal, and I succeeded in winning her attention. Not even those conceited jocks could have won her heart.

A single tear flowed down her cheek, streaking her mascara. "No, no, no! It's alright, Summer!" I almost yell, taking her in my arms and holding her close to my chest. I feel my shirt dampen, and know that there'll be a mascara stain there for as long as I have it. She doesn't pull away from me, despite our recent fighting, but she also says nothing.

Despite what one might think about her, Summer was a broken, forgotten, shattered individual. I could sense that the minute I met her. Honestly, I'm unnaturally good at sensing people's thoughts. I sometimes scare myself. Shrugging off this thought, I allow her to withdraw from my embrace. Her makeup is horribly smudged, but still she looks heavenly. Summer, my one and only, can barely even talk to me.

Me. The only one she has ever confided in.

She opens her mouth as if to speak, but the only noise that comes out is a gurgling cough. After a few seconds, she closes it, grabs her purse, and hurries away. Leaving me sitting here. At the park bench where we first kissed. Alone.

I couldn't even tell her I loved her.

After a moment, my cell phone rings and I reach for it. The number is not only blocked, but when I answer all I hear is the sound of a gunshot. No scream. No speech. Just a gunshot. The phone clicks off. I instantly go into panic mode.