Before the worst (a cask of amontillado prelude)

The war had made everyone weary; even the young faces of the small boys and girls that surrounded me were filled with dread. Many people were dying, especially the beggars who had no money to pay for treatment. I glanced among the people, only to see a sickly woman pull her silk roquelair closely around her person. Her facade of a rich beldame was transparent to me; I saw her young lips cough into the flowing lengths of the black cloth.  

I watched the woman carefully, surrounded by the deafening misery consuming the world I lived in. She glided through the crowd, a feather in a windstorm, seeming as if no one knew she was there. I stood there, watching, and a piercing rain began to fall. The storm seemed to fall harder, harder, and harder. The wind carried it along, swirling it into the homes that were lined up on either side of the street. Street lamps that lit the early twilight flickered on and off, and water droplets tore into the pallid woman, causing her tremble at the cold. I writhed in displeasure at the sad sight, and made my way over to her. I stepped, hardly a fathom away from her, when my friend Isaac Fortunato sallied into my view.

“Ah, hello my friend,” he exclaimed in an overly-chipper voice that made me cringe in displeasure.

“Yes, hello, how nice to see you.” I answered back, attempting to hide my aggravation at the unannounced appearance of this man. Politely, I shook his hand.

“I have just bought a cask of Amontillado!” he ecstatically announced. I must admit, that did draw my attention. “And it would be the death of me if you did not come join me in celebration, and try the delectable wine.”

“In celebration of what?” i inquired

“Of my well deserved promotion of course.”

I scoffed at his giddy boasting, but the sound of amontillado sounded simply delightful. My mouth was already watering with saliva, and I could practically taste the sweet wine on my lips. Seeing my expression, Isaac smiled in satisfaction.

“I shall see you tonight at dusk. But as of now, I must return to the office. Those shameful beggars are always asking for treatment when they have no money.”  He heartily laughed and I chuckled along with him. He then extracted himself with a bow; he took off, leaving me, dampened in spirit and attire, alone in the streets.

I began the cold trek back to my mansion and I passed a group of mendicants. Among them was the woman that I had passed earlier on. Her placid figure looked so calm that I could hardly tell she was alive. I had tried not to draw too much attention to myself but ungraciously I had scraped the bottom of my shoe against the rocks. The sound jerked her out of her quiet musing. She stood in the muddy road with a sad-stricken look in her face, lacking the suavity she had withheld only minutes ago.

As I glanced at her, her features became more defined when she held up her taper. It was unequivocal that she was beautiful, even with the sickness she so obviously held within her. Her jaw and neckline were gently defined; her lips were rosy and curved with kindness. Her golden eyes glistened and when she looked at me, they reflected her decency. Even though she looked tired, poor and weary, she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

“P-please don’t hurt me… I will do anything!” She whispered

“My fair maiden, I know you think that I am here to harm you, but I am just curious as to why such a beautiful woman as yourself is out here on the streets.”

I saw her face blush a bright red and she started to toy with the cravat that dangled around her neck. “I know not what you speak of, as I am no fair maiden, just a beggar trying to pay a debt.” she spoke in a sotto voce; her expression suddenly became drained and exhausted.

“You my dear are as fair as they come. If you would follow me, I could get you into a warm room, and fill your stomach as you seem quite cold and hungry.” I direct my gaze and that of my sickly companions to the people starting to notice us.