Chapter 2

There was an alarmed shout, and then, with perfect synchronisation, the Shadow Knights attacked.

Time slowed.

Befuddled, Zane watched, sword still raised to defend himself, as the different Shadow Knights lurched towards him in slow motion. He tried to move, but his body wouldn't respond. While his mind was racing, his muscles were as sluggish as the rest of the world.

Had it been a simple matter of time slowing, he would have thought it was a trick played by his adrenaline-filled brain. But then, spreading like wildfire, white, blinding Runes appeared at the Shadow Knights' feet and rushed toward him, outpacing the Shadow Souls.

They crawled on the stone upon which he stood. Then they reached his skin, and Zane's mouth opened in a silent scream. He could feel their electrifying touch seep through his body, down to his very bones, with more acuity than he had felt anything in his life; it hurt.

The air around him had grown unbearably warm. It bent and twisted like an angry snake , curling around the Dark Lord's minions, draining them of their powers. They cried in agony and fell on their knees , hands raised to protect their eyes against the violent light.

Time stopped for what must have been an eternity.

Zane's heart missed a beat. Something snapped. Then, in a brilliant explosion, the Ro'meave felt himself fall. His mind shuddered one last time before his world was swallowed by darkness.