First Snow

-First Snow-

It amazed him, put him in awe, dazzled him even. The tiny white specks floating down from the heavens began to grow larger and multiply. The spirit of the Millennium Puzzle, otherwise known as Yami, stared transfixed at nature's delicate downpour of flakes.

"Yugi," Yami asked his host, "What are these little white things?"

The boy with the puzzle around his neck, Yugi, giggled at the spirit's question.

"It's called 'snow', Yami."

Yami mused over the foreign word. 'Snow', what exactly was 'snow', he thought.

Yugi merely laughed again, then took hold of his puzzle as it began to glow.

"Here, I'll let you experience it for yourself."

The spirit and the boy then magically traded places, Yugi now being the spirit and Yami in solid form.

"H-huh?" Yami blinked, then felt a spine tingling shiver run up his back. "Agh! I-it's freezing!"

"That's because the temperature drops when it snows," Yugi smiled inwardly.

Yami sneezed. "I-I've never been this cold before. What /is/ snow exactly?"

"It's basically like frozen water."

"Frozen... Water?"

Yugi nodded with a minuscule chuckle.

Yami tightened his scarf and gazed up into the gray sky, where the frozen water drifted delicately to Earth.

"It's... Very pretty."

"Go ahead and taste it!" Said Yugi.

"Taste it?"

"It's just water, remember?"

Yami paused. Eating specks of water that discharged from the clouds? That seemed pretty odd...

But disregarding all judgement, he slowly peeked his tongue from his mouth and caught a snowflake with it.

At first he wasn't sure if he should chew it in the form it was in, then he thought it might still be drinkable anyway; however once it entered his mouth it dissolved away instantly.

"It disappeared!"

Yugi couldn't contain his laughter any longer and let it roar out from him hysterically.

Yami pouted. "What is so funny?"

The younger boy wiped a tear from his eye and quieted down. "It's just your reaction. You looked like a shocked child just now."

The older boy blushed slightly, embarrassed.

"Oh! We better get going, Yami. Joey, Tristan, and Téa are waiting for us at the cafe."

Yami nodded with a small smile, continuing on the sidewalk. He glanced back to smile at the snow. This was a memory he would /never/ forget.

The end