[2] LIVING IN THE SHADOWS

Dedicated to -Vellichor for helping me make the beautiful cover for this book <3

* * * * *

Dear Mum,

How are you? I finally managed to persuade Tonks to go to school on the condition that I went too. It was the same; people ignored me, whispered and pointed at me. Some of them gave me looks of pity. When I opened the door to my Maths classroom, the students inside suddenly stopped talking, pointing at me and nudging each other. They tried to cover up but I know they're talking about you.

I wish I was stronger, strong enough to stand up for myself and defend you. They don't have the right to talk about you like a piece of news. It's not right. They're acting like y0ou went on a holiday and not died. I hate it. But there's nothing I can do.

Why did you have to leave us? Who will I talk to now? Dad treats me like I'm invisible, Tonks is always locked up in her room, I have no friends in school and every time they see me, they stop talking. Even the teachers at school are quieter; they talk to me as though I'm some kind of fragile porcelain vase that'll break at any moment.

The way they talk is quieter and more gentle, they even tried to persuade me not to do homework. I don't like that. I don't like the way they treat me, pity me. It's horrible. I'm sick of hearing people tell me "I'm sorry" all the time. What are they sorry for? Their mum didn't die. Their not the ones who have no friends, whose Dad treats as invisible.

At least when you were alive, you would still encourage me, talk to me, listen to me. I always knew you and Tonks would be there for me. Now, I've lost you both. I have no one left. No one to listen to me, to talk to me, to be my friend. Everyone thinks I'm weird. Who wouldn't? A fifteen-year-old boy who still can't order his own food properly. Someone who can't answer questions because of social anxiety. Even I would stay away from myself.

It's miserable here without you. Sometimes, I would see you floating outside my window, smiling at me and telling me everything's gonna be alright. But when I reach out to you, try to touch you, hold your hand, you float further and further away. Eventually, you would float out of sight. Why won't you talk to me when you visit? Is it because you can't or you won't? I hope it's because you can't.

I hope you're ok and not hurting. You're hurting me and Tonks, Mum. But it doesn't matter if we're hurt, so long as you're not hurt and fine, it's ok. If you're hurting, tell me so that I can help you and make sure you don't hurt anymore.

You've always helped me, cheered me up when I was down. Now, it's my turn to help you. Let me help.

Love, Taylor