The Bond

She felt lonely. Everyone seemed to ignore her. No one seemed to understand the pain she felt in loosing her child. Anna was only ten! She didn't deserve to die in the way she did. If Ellen had go through the death of her daughter, she'd want it to be a quick and painless as possible. Not being killed by a speeding drunk driver as she crossed the road. Then laying there for ages in agony while people screamed and phoned the ambulance and by then, it was too late. The happy little girl they all once knew had crossed over to the over side. Her blood forever staining the road even though the rain had eventually washed the red away.

That was thirty years ago. Ellen was now in her early fifties. Every year on March 3rd, she'd go to her daughters grave. As it was Anna's birthday and the anniversary of her death. Ellen had no one, her family had all moved away and she had lost contact with them. She never stayed with Anna's father, in fact they broke up after Anna was born. After that, Ellen had no more boyfriends or children after the birth of her little angel. It was just the two of them. 

But after the funeral, Ellen slipped into depression, became an alcoholic and spent most days in the local bar. Even going as far as always painting pictures of her deceased daughter for money  as she had quit her job. The heartbroken woman used to be a amazing doctor.

Anna watched all this unfold with tears in her eyes. She couldn't believe how broken her mother was. She expected her to feel awful but not like this. It made her feel guilty. If only she hadn't went out that day and never crossed that road, Ellen would still be happy. To Anna, that was all she cared about. She so desperately wanted to comfort her mother. But she couldn't. She was dead. A forgotten memory to most. She could only watch from a short distance as Ellen's life changed for the worst. 

Anna Foster was determined to change it.

Hovering above her mother as she sat at home for once, she smiled and rustled some paper. Something small because she didn't want to scare her own mother that much. Nothing happened. Ellen didn't react, too absorbed in whatever junk the media was spitting out their mouths live on television. Her tired brown eyes watching the show with an non-interested glint. It was then that Anna realized how different she looked from her mother. She had gained her Ellen's personality but looked like a younger, female version of her father. Well that's what everyone told the young child.

Ellen had long, curly strawberry blonde hair(that was becoming grey), tanned skin and brown eyes. The dead ten year old had short, spiky black hair, albino skin and dark blue eyes.

Oh yes, Anna certainly looked like her father. Although she should, in the years she's been dead, Anna hasn't went to visit her father. Didn't want to either. 

Smiling softly, Anna watched as her mother's thin lips formed into a frown as the room was cold. Anna's spiritual presence dropping the temperature. Although right now, it was winter so it would be naturally cold. But never this cold with the fireplace crackling brightly, it's embers dancing for all to watch in awe. Fire was power in it's more primal, dangerous form. At least, that's what Anna thought. Being a pyromaniac and all. 

Anna made the TV turn off, the screen turning black. Reflecting everything it could see. Including Anna.

Ellen gasped, eyes locked onto the reflection of her daughter. She looked exactly as she remembered her. Even the blue jumper and black leggings were the same. The only difference was that Anna wasn't covered in blood this time, and she was grinning, waving and winking at her mother. All at the same time.

Sighing softly, Anna made her hands form a heart shape and said:

"I love you mom, never forget that. Now move on, it hurts for me to see you like this. I'll always be here"

Ellen wailed, tears falling down faster than raindrops racing each other to the ground. Even though she couldn't see Anna, she was a master at lip reading and understood her daughter was telling her.

The TV turned back on, the reflection of  Anna was gone.

"No! Anna don't leave me! Not again! Please! Please my little angel! P-please... stay"

No response. Ellen somehow felt happier than she had in years. Thanks to Anna of course. She was her only source of happiness. 

Nodding to herself, Ellen decided to do her daughters last wish. 

"I'll get better, even in my old age darling, I'll make you proud" 

Anna smiled. Overjoyed her plan had worked. Suddenly she felt a shift in the atmosphere. A bright light appeared in front of her. Indicating Anna had found peace and could move on. Walking towards it, the light wrapped itself around her flickering form like a protective, warm blanket. 

The last thing Anna saw on Earth was her smiling mother.

You see? Even in life and death, a mother-daughter bond will never be broken. No matter how many trials they go through.