KARMA...REVERSE-KARMA

It was 3 am, after the night of his wedding; I was very exhausted that I slept with my traditional clothes on. Then my phone beeped, it was my bua (aunt) my father's sister, it has been decades since we talked to each other and now she call me in middle of night. 'Hello' I said. I heard some short breathes mixed with tears. 'So sorry to hear that Ashwin, I am coming tomorrow' she told while she cried. 'Sorry to hear what?' I asked. 'You didn't watch the TV, it's on the news' she told. 'What is on the news' I asked. 'Just switch on the TV and see the news' she told and hung-up. I was angry, exhausted and even sad then this came, so I went to my living room, sat on my sofa and switched on my TV. "The bus from pilgrimage travelling to Mumbai has been exploded, the bodies are burnt to ashes, and some religious groups claim the responsibility of having done that" the downward banner showed. My parents were coming to Mumbai after their pilgrimage. On the night of the wedding, and now I see the news. I thought this is not the bus my parents stepped inn. Then I called the travel agency, 'Hello' he said. 'Hello, to inquire about the blast took in the bus on the way to Mumbai' I told. 'What's your name?' he asked. 'Ashwin Rao, Were there Aushutosh Rao and Sushmita Rao in that bus?' I asked, it was keen, he took few minutes to examine the list, and my heartbeat got faster after every second. Then he told, 'Yes, Ashwin, I am sorry' he hung up. It took me a while to realize that my parents are dead, burnt alive. I was just 21 years and I lost them, what would I do without them? They were my world after Sonam. What do I have with me now? I am alone. Lost, in acrimony of life. I spent the night looking at the photos of my parents in living room. They were smiling, happy and they were the reason for my happiness. Every time I made my mother laugh, happy it made me happy. Every time I helped my father with his car wash and other works, it made me happy. They were my world, and now there is just me in my own world.

*

It was 7 am, someone knocked the door, then opened it, it was Sonam, she ran towards me and hugged me deeper, crying, making eye contact with me, asking, 'Are you okay?' then came Vijay, he looked devastated. My parents were everything for him; they fed him and brought him up just like his own son, me. It was very painful for both of us, losing someone without even meeting him or her for telling them how much they meant for us. For telling them how much we loved them. He kept hands on my shoulder and cried a lot. Everyone came and was sad about us, about my parents. My bua came with her family, Sonam made tea for them and then they sat and started altogether crying chorus. I was tired of crying the whole night and Vijay was too. He was sitting in the balcony looking outside, at the sunshine. 'You need coffee?' she asked me. I was looking at Vijay, 'Bring two for us' I told and went to him. 'When I told him I am going to stop studies and work for two years to get work experience and funding for my higher education, he told, "You do your Higher education, I am here and you don't have to worry about funds" and I was like why?' Vijay told and took a deep breath and told, 'Tell me Ashwin, who does that to a friend's son' he told and cried. 'And your mother, what to tell about her" he asked. Sonam came with coffee and we there sat there and drank, Sonam looking me and ensuring me something. I do not know what. Nevertheless, her eyes looked more engaging and empathetic. We finished all the activities of cremation and other works or rituals. Then two weeks passed. Bua went to her home and I was alone in my house, what would a freelancer do in a big house? I went out too much, sometimes Sonam came to call me for lunch, I would refuse, and sometimes she would just keep the food on the table when I was out.

We were dinning, 'so, Ashwin, how did your day go?' Vijay asked. I was thinking to go America, to leave everything beside me, I did not want this house to remind me of my late parents. I did not want Sonam to be concerned for me when she is wife of Vijay. After all, I did not want Vijay to worry about my day-to-day activities and me. 'I am thinking to go to America, there is nothing for me here' I told. Then they two dropped the spoon on the table and looked at me, 'What?' Vijay asked. 'You don't need to go, Ashwin' Sonam told breaking the awkward silence after his question. 'I want to go' I told. 'What will you do there?' she asked. 'I don't want you to worry about me okay, what has happened, has happened and it is over, I don't want to fret over the same, I want to go to forget all this, and I am going' I told sounding angrily. Then they were quiet, they did not talked to me.

Then at bedtime, Vijay and Sonam came to my room, 'Ashwin, look you don't need to go, we are here for you, and we love you that is why we worry about you' she told and Vijay nodded. 'You are not going to America, you are staying here, and tomorrow we are going out, just for a change and you are coming with us' Vijay told. 'You have us Ashwin, me and Vijay, your lifelong friends, and you tell that you don't have anything here' Sonam told. Then they went for sleep. I thought of hearing that same thing somewhere, "You have us Ashwin, me and Vijay, your lifelong friends, and you tell that you don't have anything here" and I remembered she told Vijay the same thing on his birthday. That is why people love her. The way she emphasizes, the way her character shows integrity. Was Reverse-karma happening with me?

We went out much, sometimes Sonam and I went out for lunch together and talked about matters, photography, writing and fighting of which one is better. She tried to bring the old Ashwin in me, and she brought in me. It was just like the old times when we were in relationship. Now the difference was she was married.