Chapter 1

I walked through the cold, quiet neighborhood. The sidewalks and grass were filled with untouched snow, as most of the road was as well, it looked so beautiful. I didn't even mind that it was freezing cold outside either, I always enjoyed this time to myself.

No one likes me. No one. You think I'm joking too don't you? Well. I'm not.

Lets start with school.

I fear most of the people in it. No one talks to me, besides the teasing. I try to ignore it, I really do. But it's not always that easy. All I want to do is listen to my music, but my teachers never let that happen. When they yell at me though, or call me out, I can tell that they see the sacredness in my eyes. I've been brought to the point when almost anyone can scare me. I've seen things I never thought I would. It all started when my mother died when I was ten.

Seven Years Ago

I was sitting in our modern everyday minivan. Looking out the window I saw the sun shining, flowers blooming, other kids my age playing. Yet, I was on my way to my fathers work, he had an important presentation to the city. Apparently me and my mom were supposed to be there for support.

Kids were playing with their dogs in the front yards, walking them, petting them, even being lazy with them. I wanted that. I could have too, if it wasn't for my dad, he was allergic. That's why I only ever had a pet gold fish, we couldn't have any pet with fur in the house. Of course, it made no sense to my little ten year old brain, but I went with it anyway.

I was in the front seat with my mom. She was driving and I was in the passengers seat of course. My mom was humming the tune to the song on the radio. I was about to ask her a question when instead I screamed at the top of my lungs "WATCH OUT!"

There had been a puppy walking across the road, along with a little boy stopping at the curb. I must have scared my mom. She jerked on the wheel and the car spun three times before hitting a tree.

I was sure that I was going to die. I was surprised I could even open my eyes seconds later. When I had opened them though, I really wished that I hadn't.

My mom had somehow gotten out of her seat and into mine as a shield. She saved my life, and I couldn't thank her.

Present

Later that week, everyone I knew was a wreck. I felt guilty for all of it. If I wouldn't have screamed for one. Also, if she wouldn't have shielded me. I cried that whole week. I was only ten and would never see my mom again. That was a lot to take in.

We had her funeral exactly a week after the wreck. I can't remember much of what happened during it, but I clearly know what did after it. My dad didn't talk for the next whole week. That's not what sticks out to me though. No. I remember what happened after I got my cast off.

Seven Years Ago

My dad pulled into the driveway of our house. He was still silent. He had never spoken a word to me but maybe a couple at times. I just thought he was sad or upset over losing the love of his life. When we got into the house, I kicked my shoes off and hung up my coat like usual. It was very quiet since mom was not here. She would always be the spirit of the house.

All of a sudden, my dad slammed the front door closed. It made me flinch. He then aggressively locked the door, which frightened me. Next, he closed all of the windows in the house, tightly. He also closed the curtains and blinds. I gulped as he took his coat off. At last dad took a grip of his belt before looking towards me.