Chapter Three

Anita's POV

At dinner that night, we have soup and bread. It isn't much, but compared to the tasteless muck that we usually have to eat, we're all savoring the food. A Christian friend gave it to us. She claimed that she "bought too much from the grocery store", but I think she did it on purpose. Anyway, I'm thankful.

Our family has the rule: No talking when eating. It may seem like a strange rule, but we don't want to ruin the most important part of the day with chattering. Mother and Father don't wat that, and neither do I. Still, as I see my younger sister, Marta, sipping her soup way too fast, I nudge her foot. She looks up, and I mouth the words, Slow down.

She does what she's told for once, and slows down significantly. Still, she finishes earlier than us, and I can see the jealousy in her eyes as she watches us all take a sip.

All of a sudden, the doorbell rings.

I turn around in my seat to look at the door. I can't see anything about the person, so I watch as Father puts his napkin down on the table, somewhat annoyed, and reaches the door in three long strides.

He opens it, but I still can't tell who it is, since Father's bulky body is in the way. I can hear murmuring as Father takes some from whoever is at the door. When Father goes to shut the door, I see something glinting from outside.

It's a badge...

But the only people who have badges are...

Nazi soldiers.

Dear God help us please.

______________________________

A/N: I just wanted to say that I am neither British nor Jewish, so I'm looking up the names for the Jewish characters at this one super awesome website called Random Name Generator. I also want to say that I cannot reply to any messages that I get, but if you want me to read a story of yours, I will.