Chapter 2

“Lindsay Marie. Could Lindsay Marie please come to the main office? Lindsay Marie,” the loud voice announced over the intercom. I was in the Science Lab and everyone else turned around to look at me. A couple of girls snorted while a couple of guys gave me thumbs up.

“Lindsay,” the teacher said, motioning with her hand, my cue to leave.

“Um, okay,” I said, quickly glancing over at John who gave me a reassuring smile. I returned it though I’m sure it looked forced. What could I have done to get called into the office?

Walking down the deserted hallway, I felt my stomach churn uneasily beneath me. Whatever this was, it couldn’t be good. My suspicions were confirmed as I saw all of the office workers standing around the seating area as if they were waiting for me. “Hi,” I said shyly and their gazes snapped up to meet mine. “Um, you wanted to see me?” I asked nervously.

The principal, Mr. King, moved first. “Oh. Hello, Lindsay. Please, sit down,” He said, nodding towards the chair. I obeyed, setting my books on the floor and folding my hands in my lap. “I’m afraid we have some bad news for you.”

My heart dropped. “Bad news?” I questioned uneasily.

Mr. King looked from person to person before steadily meeting my gaze. “Yes, I’m afraid your parents have been in a car accident this morning,” he said, looking away from me, suddenly showing an eager interest in the floor.

I jumped up from my chair. “What?! What happened?!” I demanded, feeling the queasy feeling setting into my stomach once again and trying to control my rapid breathing. My vision began to fuzz around the edges.

“This morning your parents were in an accident on the way to a meeting with their lawyer. The accident was fatal and we are sad to say that there were no survivors,” Mr. King stated. He looked at me with concerned eyes before…

.

.

.

Everything went black.

<> 

“Lindsay?”

The voice was soft, almost like an angel’s.

“Lindsay, can you hear me?”

Silk. That’s what it reminded me of. Silk.

I felt a hand grab my own as I fluttered my eyelashes, opening them slowly. There wasn’t anyone else in the room besides me and the beautiful boy holding onto my hand.

I blinked a couple of times before looking up and meeting the strange boy’s eyes. They reminded me of honey, a beautiful gold color. “Who are you?” I said groggily, as if I had just woken up from a long sleep. The golden eyes looked confused and then suddenly amused.

“Sam. Sam Baker. You know, from your world history class?” he said, with a smile on his face.

I tried to think back. Had I ever seen him before? Surely I would remember a face this beautiful I thought, blushing slightly and pushing away the thought. You have a boyfriend, remember?  Suddenly it hit me.

“Sam!” I said suddenly, realization dawning on me. “You sit behind John and I.”

I noticed his eyes darkened slightly at the mention of John. “You remembered. I’m touched,” Sam said, slightly sarcastic. “Now, would you like to explain to me why you were on the ground?”

Confused, I looked around. The principal’s office. What was I doing here?

It all came back to me.