Abandoned

'You promised me a better future if I became your partner,' she said.

I believed in that promise, I thought. I still believe.

'It's been 40 years since you brought me here with you. We were supposed to be happy together, ' she complained.

How was I to reply to her? I did not expect time to have such a devastating effect on us.

'Because of you, I've been caged in these walls, forced to accept it as my home till the day I rot away and die,' she ranted.

I stayed silent. It had been decades since anyone noticed our existence. No one visited us anymore. The solitude of old age tightened its grasp on us with every passing day. 

However, today was different. 

I asked her, 'Do you ever wish somebody noticed you? Remembered you? Thought about you?'

She commented, 'Not a single moment has passed ever since I came here that I haven't wished someone did that.'

A lump formed in my throat. 'Look there,' I whispered. 

There, sat a person whose thoughts revolved around us; out of everything else, us.

'I never thought this day would come,' I said. 'Maybe we weren't trapped here in vain after all.'

Said the gramophone to the typewriter, who sat in their glass cage in a corner of the library in which the person sat and wrote about them.