preface ▬

SYNOPSIS

Do you ever forget how to breathe? Like all of the air in your lungs has been snatched and taken away? And you're left struggling, gasping for air? And you think to yourself that if you could just get your head above the water, you could steal some air. But instead, water comes rising in.

And the world will tell you that the ocean is your enemy, because in a moment, the current could be ripped from underneath you, and the last thing you'll see is blue. But the salty waves feel too familiar, and you've never felt more at home. It makes your heart long for something you once had. It makes you heart grow wistful at the thought of it. The ocean has never been your enemy, it is your home. And so, you wrap yourself in its cold arms, and you drown yourself in nostalgia.

___________

ABOUT

i've always been in love with the idea of "excerpts from a book i'll never write" (as you can tell from "almost"). except i'm not doing poems this time. these are excerpts.
stories that are too short that tell too much.

i hope you enjoy reading this!

___________

DEDICATION

to those who are drowning.

sometimes things get too much -- school, friends, family, work, relationships, and maybe society as a whole. it's as if you're in the water -- it's already hard enough to keep yourself afloat -- and the world decides to throw you responsibilities. you have to get into a good college, get a good job, get a good significant other. you have to do well, be well, feel well. and you try to swim and stay afloat, but how can you, when your anchor is life itself?

but please, promise me that you'll stay afloat. let this be your life vest.

to those who are survivors.

___________

WARNING

!!! darker and possibly triggering themes may appear within some excerpts !!!

however the majority of these will deal with heartbreak, separation, lost friendships, and all of those other stuff that makes you long for the past, when the water was still and tides didn't crash the shore.

___________

STATUS

→ posting: december 12th, 2016 - february 20, 2022
→ rank: #34 in excerpts (april 7th, 2019)
→ updates: every sunday / whenever i feel like it lol

___________

COPYRIGHTS

"Nostalgic Drowning" by Soul

© 2017, existingsouls

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Any unauthorized reprint or use of this material is prohibited. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system without express written permission from the author.

(( please pay attention to this!! if you would like to quote something out of this book, please ASK ME FIRST! all of these excerpts are mine! it is extremely rude and disrespectful to plagiarize and steal a person's work. ask me for permission!!!)