Part 3, The Realization

With nothing much to do, Lyla spent a lot of time thinking. She had a whole lot of unanswered questions. Who was her mother? Where was she? Sometimes she'd feel things. Just little things now, that came and went in an instant. A feeling of longing, for someone else. Was it loneliness? Lyla couldn't tell. She missed the little wooden house from her dreams though. It was so different to her prison. Sure, she remembered it getting frigidly cold, or unbearably hot (things that never happened in her room), but at least it had felt homey. This sure didn't.

About four months ago Lyla had started reading. This prison of hers seemed to be teaching her with the objects it brought. Puzzles and games to learn things, like telling time, and now, reading. She picked up the book she had left lying on the floor. It was about a seven-year-old girl, just like Lyla. Except this little girl didn't live her life alone in a room. This little girl went to school, played outside, and spent time with her family. She had friends, and they went on adventures together.

That life seemed pretty great. Why didn't Lyla get to live it? That got her wondering. Did most people live in one room? If not, why was she here? Did she do something wrong? Why didn't people come give her answers? In anger, she threw the book across the room.

"I HATE YOU! I HATE ALL OF YOU!" She screamed, angrily, hoping someone, anyone, would hear her, and come to her rescue. "WHY CAN'T I LIVE A NORMAL LIFE?!"

When nothing happened, she collapsed on the floor and began sobbing bitterly. Maybe people were all just as evil as she had imagined.

"No one cares!" She wailed, "Not one person cares! Why do I have to be so alone?!"

************

"The subject is not completely ignorant anymore!" Dr. Williams exclaimed as he pointed excitedly at the screen of the monitor.

"What?" Dr. Williams' loud shouts had drawn Rita to his side.

"The subject has figured out that she's part of something bigger!" Dr. Williams responded, "Haven't you seen the footage?"

"I've been on duty training the interns, " Rita made an exhausted face, "I haven't had time to look at the footage."

"You can look at it now," Dr. Williams pressed a button.

"Wow," Rita looked at the screen and tried not to let her emotions show. It was all just too much. She turned, and ran down the hall, up the elevator, and into her room, where she collapsed on her bed. She sat there for a long time, just letting out all the emotions she had held in for the last two years. She took a deep breath. She knew what she had to do.

After dinner, Rita left the cafeteria out of the left door instead of the right. She went down a long unfamiliar hall and came to a door. The words 'OBSERVATION PERSONNEL ONLY' were printed in bold, black letters across the top. With sweaty hands, Rita pulled out Dr. Williams' identification (she had used a slight of hand to take it in the cafeteria) and swiped it. The door clicked open. She let out a sigh of relief. As she walked down the next hall, she shoved her hands in her pockets so the scientists on observation duty could not see their shaking.

In front of her now were several huge screens, with Lyla's sleeping form on all of them. Almost there, Rita thought to herself. She boldly strode toward the door at the far end of the room. This door was labeled 'UNDER ROOM PREPARATION.' She had just swiped the card at this door when a man walked up to her.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?" The man asked her.

She was preparing the response she had planned beforehand when she heard her name called.

"Dr. Palmer!" Rita turned to see Dr. Williams striding toward her. He turned to see the man next to her, "Oh hello Matt! Good to see you!" Dr. Williams looked back at Rita, "Dr. Palmer, this is Dr. Matt Byrd, Matt, this is Dr. Rita Palmer."

"I caught her trying to break into Under Room Preparation." Dr. Byrd explained.

"Oh no! Dr. Palmer was recently assigned to prep after Dr. Gorton resigned." Dr. Williams lied.

"I was not made aware of this change." Dr. Byrd said.

"Dr. Palmer does not even work in your sector," Dr. Williams replied, "Why is it necessary you are updated on every little thing that happens?"

"Fine." Dr. Byrd went back to his post.

"Thank you!" Rita said.

"Once you're fired you better not ask for more favors, and please don't mention me," Dr. Williams responded. He left, and Rita continued into Under Room Preparation, her last obstruction from The Room.

************