Chapter Two

Chapter Two

  "Yes, sir. I am capable of fulfilling these tasks." Angus stood in front of the black desk, waiting for further commands. He set his almond eyes on the man sitting in the swivel chair.

     "Stranahan," the man said, a shadow cast across his face, "you better not fail me." Angus ran his fingers through his hair and turned around. Two fingers formed a "V" in the sky.

     "When have I ever failed you?" Angus sauntered out the door, into the hallway. Grunts in black leather jumpsuits seemed to be blurs as they sped by. Thud! A grunt pushed Angus, and Angus' back hit the concrete wall. Angus shook his honey hair.  "Out of the way," the grunt said.

    Angus stared at the grunt walking by with disgust. "Learn some respect for your higher-ups!" Squelch! Angus spat on the grunt's chest and started towards the door.

   "Trenchant Tongue," Angus muttered as he headed for the exit of the hideout. The grunt's chest exploded with a gruesome pop. Blood erupted onto the floor. Yeeeaaaaagh! Rrrgh! Aaaugh! The grunt screamed, writhed and yelled in terror.

   Pushing the doors apart, Angus laughed and headed off into uptown Edo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     The fourth day of Bunpei's preparation came around. Sitting on a wooden log, Kawai faced Bunpei, who was seated firmly on the grass. Hitoshi swung his heel back and forth, several blades of grass being lifted out of the soil each time he did so.

     "So," he spoke, "what do you think of the training thus far? Hard? Or are there any concepts I should explain to you?"

     Bunpei blew into the air, stirring some of the floating blades. As they gracefully returned to the earth, he replied.

       "Yes. The one thing I'm confused on is what psi itself is. I was used to making psi balls before without knowing what the heck I was doing. Now I've seen what it can do, and I'm curious. This is the type of things I only see in movies, so I need you to help me understand."

       Kawai stopped kicking his feet. He buried his foot and the large ditch that was now formed in the forest floor.

      "Energy. We all have it. Some dormant, some heading into action as we speak. You can call it whatever you want, but the name we use is "psi". We're not the simple beings you thought you were before. The limits of psi are nonexistent. Absolutely anything is possible for us psions, we users of our own internal energy."

     Bunpei dug his hand into the dirt and picked up a handful of the displaced grass. He stared at it, noticing that a few blades were already losing their green tone.

     "So is this power... Unlimited? Is it like a bottomless well?"

    "No," said Kawai. "Our bodies all have different psi energy capacities. The more you can hold, the stronger you are. For example, I have a higher energy capacity than you. Much higher."

    He stood up and balanced on his log. "Don't be discouraged. If you keep working with your psi, your capacity will increase."

     Bunpei stood up as well. Sticking his thumb out, he said, "thanks".

    Kawai raised his hand and slapped Bunpei on the back gently. "I think we should head out for Edo now. The tournament is due to begin in three days."

    "Heh heh! All right!" Bunpei was teeming over with energy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Kawai trained Bunpei day and night. There were no breaks, not even during a three-day trip on foot. The doors of the Asteralis Hotel drew closer and closer with each tornado kick. The doors grew so close, in fact, that when the Kawai-Nikato duo arrived, they wouldn't even open.

     What in the world is this!? Let us in! We came for the tournament, not some urban camping trip! Furious people pounded their fists against the hotel's doors. There was some type of commotion up at the front. Bunpei made his way towards the front of the crowd.