Chapter 3 : Paper Lanterns

Chapter 3 |  Paper Lanterns

          Dawn was breaking, and a gust of wind blew the hairs in front of Desireé's forehead against her face as they walked across the stone archway that stood in their way. She didnt know what to expect, so she just went along with the idea of going through the archway without hesitation whatsoever.

          Not knowing what she was going to see, she calmly stepped across the curved opening, and closed her eyes. She inhaled and felt the refreshing air that surrounded her filling her nostrils, then exhaled it out with a sigh. She lifted her head up and saw the sun setting on the horizon, which was now colored with hues of pink and purple. And as she turned to her right, an unexpected castle seemed to fit in the magical sight perfectly.

          Four towers marked the four irregular corners of the castle which stood at different heights, as it followed the terrain of the broad edge of the cliff it stood on. Its gatehouse was closed and stood side by side with the high walls of the castle. It was just another castle, but the torches that were lit up and the festive mood that was in the air made it different.

          "So, this is it then?" she asked. Her voice filled with curiosity.

"Yes lassie. Yes it is." the giant replied with certainty.

          Silence filled the gap, but a charm that captivated the girl was sandwiched somewhere in between the silent filling. They entered the castle, past the gatehouse and the withering grass around it, then entered the main bailey of the castle.

          She was right about feeling a light and festive mood, for a celebration was going on inside. People were dancing to wooden flutes played by people in funny clothing as though they were a king's jester. The people formed an inner and outer circle doing jumps and leaps moving in the same direction and yet, they still landed with fancy footwork. Laughter and singing could be heard from all around. And melodies unsung have now been used as the main tune for the celebratory event.

          For the lass, this was quite a sight. For, she has never been to a festivity like this. She has never even been to a simple party in her life. But something in the current merry-making that was occurring seemed to have bring back something in her mind. Everything else seemed to have creeped away from reality, and all she noticed was the paper lantern that drifted a few meters above her head. Colored a light shade of purple, the paper shaped like a cylinder brought her to a memory that took place a few years back.

          She remembered sitting beside the window sill beside her bed, and the afternoon seemed to have lasted longer than it usually is. The sun was setting, and the clouds have turned orange, while some have turned pink. And then she looked outside and just stared at the people who walked across the pavements. Some, busy with talking on the phone. Others, particularly beggars, asking for alms and possessed an empty can in their hands. And most, well, they just walked past the other individuals who seemed just as busy as they were.

          The streets were also filled with cars. And surprisingly, there was no traffic that day. A flower kiosk seemed to have boomed that day with its sales. And a particular customer, customers rather, made the lass lust for what she didn't have, but they did - a family.  A little girl twirled in her peach dress filled with floral designs that varied. Her mother pecked her playfully on the cheek, but was surprised by a man in a rain coat and a brown hat. Before she could even move, the man embraced her passionately from behind. Then he said something to the enlightened flower vendor, and was given a rose after he slipped a dollar to the hand of the vendor in exchange. He gave it to the mother of the child in the peach dress.

          A mix of frustration, jealousy and envy struck her heart all at once. How she wished she could have something like that. A family. And there, a tear began to trickle down her face as the empty room comforted her with silence. She was glad no one was there. The rest of the girls were out og the room cleaning the rest of the building. And the only reason why she's sitting there filled with envy is because she's done with her chores - from the cleaning of the two windows' screens, to the sweeping of the floor, and the fixing of the rows of rusted beds filled with a messy wave of blankets and overthrown pillows.

          But she couldn't do anything now. And her parents could have at least given her something to remember them by. But no, they didn't. Not even a single piece of paper with a note that said something, anything.

          Now she was there, still sitting down beside the window, with tears streaming down her cheeks, as if a river had just sprang up from her face. And it started from the sides of her eyes, and dripped down towards her lips, until she tasted its saltiness surfacing on her tongue.

          Hours have passed, and dark has finally fallen on the city's horizon. The matron screamed at the children that it was dinner with her usual shrilly, and very annoying voice. But she wouldn't care if the lass skipped a meal now would she? She might actually even be glad that she had one less mouth to feed for the night, and one less plate to clean.

          So she stayed there in her misery, at the same time, in relief, because she didn't have to see those absurd roommates of hers and that wretched caretaker for at least an hour, specially now that it was her birthday. 'Not that it's an important day or anything.' she thought to herself.

          Then she leaned her back against the window sill, and raised her knees so that she could place her chin on it and look at the city with no disturbance whatsoever. The buildings slowly turned on their lights, floor by floor, as if it were a machine about to wake. But with these buildings and skyscrapers that seem to have surrounded the city, all she looked at was central park.

          People walked by, jogged, and some of them even roller-skated amongst themselves. But when the time seemed to have neared 8:30, all of them gathered at the center, and took hold of these pastel-colored papers shaped like a cylinder. It took some time for her to realize that they were paper lanterns. 

          All, or at least most, of the people within the park's vicinity stopped whatever they were doing, and raised their arms high. Some of the children were hesitant at first thinking that they might catch on the fire that was lit inside of it, but eventually they gave in to the wonder of the lantern. When the clock struck eight thirty, they let go of the lantern in their hands, and a spectacular sight was seen from up above.

          From where Desireé was looking at, it looked as if the night sky of New York was suddenly filled with light colors, pleasing to the eyes. Unlike the usual electrifying ambiance of the city.

'Maybe I can still make a wish.' she told herself, being a child still hopeful. 'Maybe this was meant for me. For my birthday.'

          The lass closed her eyes and gave her heart away to the whispered words she spoke in a hushed voice and said, "I want to find my family. And I want to get out of here." She heaved out a sigh, that held a meaning of something somber, yet it still held a tinge of hope in it.

She opened her eyes then saw the city again. Everything was the same, just the way it was every night. A cry seemed to have been stuck in her throat. Then she remembered that wishing wouldn't get you anywhere, at least from her experience.

          And just when she was about to turn away and slip herself into bed, a gentle knock could be heard from the window, as if something light tapped it from the outside. Then she saw a paper lantern just outside her window, about to drift away, up into the night sky. So, she quickly took action, opened the window, and took hold of the lantern as fast, and as delicate as possible.

          When she brought it in the room, she blew out the fire that was set ablaze by a candle that lay in the middle. Now that the wind was gone, the paper lantern was flat, and held no shape. But its color seemed to have stayed the same.

          Even if Desireé was an orphan, she has seen a paper lantern before up close, and their colors and pattern were usually the same. But the one she grabbed, which was just brushing itself against the orphanage's window a few moments ago, was different.

          It was made of old parchment, as if it were years old. And it seemed as though a perfectly punchered shape that seemed to symbolize the sun was on it. 

          The hue of lavender seemed to entice the mind of the lass. But the question was, why was Desireé looking at the same paper lantern which was now floating above her head in Cantair?