Prologue

The dead body of a black she-cat lay in the medicine cat den. Yowls of dismay and horror rang through the ears of a gray tom.

      "Settle down!" A flame-colored tom ordered, his determined green eyes clouded with grief and sorrow. "Jayfeather, what happened?"

      "I tried to save her," Jayfeather choked, his blind blue eyes full of regret. "But I failed.."

      The flame-colored tom gave the medicine cat a look of pity. "It is not your fault, Jayfeather. Not even the best medicine cat can save all."

      Jayfeather sat in silence.

      "Firestar's right," A dark ginger she-cat stepped up. "You tried your best, Jayfeather."

      "And the kits are okay." A gray tabby she-cat added.

      "Speaking of the kits," A dark brown tabby mewed. "Who's going to name them?"

      "Lionblaze, Jayfeather?" Firestar looked at Lionblaze and Jayfeather, Hollyleaf's brothers.

      "I suppose we could," Lionblaze mewed.

      Jayfeather didn't reply.

      "Jayfeather?" Firestar's tail flicked, as if he were waiting for a response.

      "Okay." Jayfeather mewed quietly, his voice trembling.

      "The tortoiseshell shall be Spottedkit," Lionblaze announced. Murmurs of approval broke out. Firestar silenced the Clan with a flick of his tail.

      "I have a suggestion," The gray tabby she-cat meowed. "For the orange and white one. You should name it Gingerkit."

      "Then it shall be Gingerkit," Lionblaze meowed. "Jayfeather? Would you like to name the last one?"

      "The last kit has black fur and green eyes." Firestar put in.

      "And it's a she-kit," Lionblaze added.

      "Hollykit," Jayfeather blurted out. "Her name is Hollykit."

      Everyone stared at Jayfeather.

     "Jayfeather.." Lionblaze's voice trailed off.

      "Who's going to mother them?" A sand-colored she-cat asked.

      "I will," The gray tabby she-cat stepped forward.

      "Cinderheart...?" Lionblaze looked at her.

      "They're your kin, Lionblaze," Cinderheart mewed. "I will not let them die."

      Lionblaze blinked gratefully.

      "Now that that's settled," Firestar announced. "We will sit vigil for Hollyleaf."

      "Come on, Jayfeather," Lionblaze nudged his brother.

      Jayfeather let out a long sigh. "This is my fault, isn't it?" He muttered.

      "Not at all," Lionblaze replied, choosing his words carefully. "Don't blame yourself. It could have happened to any cat."

      Jayfeather looked uncertain, but nodded anyway.

      Lionblaze and Jayfeather padded over to Hollyleaf's limp body.

      "Farewell, Hollyleaf," Jayfeather whispered, closing his eyes and taking in Hollyleaf's scent.

      Jayfeather looked over at Lionblaze, who was grief-stricken.

      The two brothers spent the rest of the night in silence.