Chapter Two - 10 years later

"Mom I'm home!" I shut the front door to our new house in Brookesville. Its been 10 years since my dad tried killing me and I watched my mom die trying to protect me because he thought I was a monster. Since then Lydia took me under her wings and adopted me. We later decided to move to Brookesville after the incident to get a fresh new start at life.

"Hi Keelin. How was school today?" I set my backpack and textbooks down on the kitchen table while I go to make myself a cup of coffee and grab a snack.

"The usual I guess" Lydia looks up from her phone before smiling at me before her attention fell back to her phone. The heat from the coffee helps me warm up my cold hands. The temperature always drops and gets freezing during fall. "I think I'm gonna go upstairs and do my homework" I grab my backpack and coffee before I start to walk to the stairs.

"Okay honey, have fun"

"Yup" our house has four bedrooms. Two of them for guest rooms and the other two (the largest rooms) are my mothers and mine. I toss my backpack and set my coffee down on the desk next to the over looking window. Its so cold in here.. I thought she turned on the heating. I walk out to the balcony to talk to my mom. "Mom didn't you turn on the heat?" she looks up and walks over to check the thermostat.

"Yeah I thought I did, apparently not. Sorry sweetie" she smiles before walking to the kitchen. "Keelin its your day to choose what we have for supper. What should I make for us?"

"Hmmm.. how about chicken and rice soup. Perfect temperature for it so why not?" I smile and she nods before going to grab a pan and taking out the ingredients. Recently I have been thinking about everything that has happened since I was six years old the day my mom died. When the police came after I had showed Lydia my mom and the police came they told me that my father must have gotten away. They still haven't got any clue as to where he is, for all I know he could still be in town hiding trying to kill me again and this time succeed. Doubtful but I guess you never know. I sit down in my office chair and start working on my homework. Since all of that happened Lydia thought it was best I go to therapy and discuss it and so at first I obliged but I then agreed after seeing how much it bothered her that I wouldn't discuss it to someone to make sure I was okay. My therapist would have me talk to her about how my family was before that, if my dad was an alcoholic or had some mental issues or anything and everything she asked was no. None of that was the case with the family. The only thing that was with my dad was that he thought I was a monster and that I needed to die. That's all, nothing else. After weeks of me saying the same answers she finally gave up that approach and told me to write short stories, to add emotions to them and how I felt/how I feel now. Honestly in my opinion it was the most pointless thing I have ever done in my life. After that was shot down by me she finally told me to try drawing or painting. Not a bad idea so I tried it. The only problem was that I kept drawing my old house and family. My father, mother, and me all smiling and happy, but the next drawing was of my father and a knife. I thought it was fine and wouldn't affect me, but I guess I was wrong because eventually I started having nightmares about it and would end up screaming or crying in my sleep or I just couldn't sleep at all. My therapist then told me to get a hobby like an instrument or a sport. Something to keep my mind busy. So I threw myself into school work and I took the amazing chance to start playing flute. Everything was better and calmer for a while until the dreams started to come back again. Lydia got worried but not as worried as before because the nightmares weren't as bad as they used to be. Now that everything is a bit more calmer then before we have started to enjoy ourselves.

"Keelin dinners done!"

"Coming!" I close my books before walking down the stairs and sitting at the seat with the bowl of soup. "Thanks mom" she smiles and walks over with her own bowl of soup with her.