The Unknown Crime

I step into the building as the wood creaks beneath my weight. Looking to my left, then to my right, I slowly walk down the small hallway I see in front of me. My heart was thumping so loud, I could barely hear my thoughts. A few minutes ago I was so determined to finally unmask this monster and know who he is. But the murderer just keeps slipping out of my grip. And now I'm too scared to even look behind me. Suddenly I stop in my tracks to hear someone's footsteps to my left behind a door left slightly open. My head snaps to the side in hopes I would catch a glimpse of something, anything. But instead, all I could see was a dark room and two shadowy figures having a quiet conversation. The window beside them let in enough moonlight to see only the center of the room, while everything else was pitch black. Holding my breath, I step beside the door and attempt to hear anything the two people were saying. I could only hear mumbling, so I try to peek inside to get a hint of what's going on. One of them was a man in a hoodie, and the other seemed to be a girl, judging by their body figure and voices. I turned my head to the side to allow my ear to pick up anything being said. And all I heard was, "I don't care!! I want her dead, and I want her gone," growled the guy.

I instantly assumed he was referring to me. After all, this guy had already killed most of my friends and only a few of them are left alive. Hearing their footsteps approach the door, I ushered myself behind a statue nearby in this dark hallway. The guy walked back the way I came in, and the girl headed down the rest of the hallway. She walked past me, but stopped after a few steps. She took a few strides back and stared at my direction. I could feel panic rising up my spine, and I could feel fear creeping up to my core. Her eyes squinched in attempt to see anything better, but the darkness was no help to her.

"Geez, these statues feel like they're souls watching you like hawks!" She stated.

Then she turned on her heels and disappeared behind another door at the end of hall. Once she was out of sight, I let out a big sigh of relief and took a few seconds to relax on the ground and catch my breath again. Thinking about my next move was difficult, considering this time I had no idea what their plan was. The murderer has already killed five of my friends just to get to me. It was heartbreaking to find each of the five murdered and left in some rusty old corner of a shabby place. It even hurts more that the cops cannot tell how they were murdered, or where it took place. The cops cannot find any information that would help solve the crime and fill in the pieces with missing information. Even though I'm scared of this criminal, and I don't want to lose my friends, I'm not afraid of standing up to him. And he isn't going to mess with me so easily. If the cops can't solve anything, then I will myself. And I am determined to find out who this man is, and I am going to find out what happened to my friends. I checked the coast to make sure it was clear, and then I made a run for it as quietly as I possibly could. I managed to get out of the scruffy building without being noticed by the girl inside. How many places could this disgusting criminal have as a hide-out? I thought to myself.

Trudging through the tall trees and trying to find my way back to the roads, I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I paused for a moment before I pulled out the device, checking there was no one in sight. I looked at my screen and saw it was a text from Nathan. The text read,

"We checked the store shack in the back, we couldn't find anything. No evidence of who this guy is or what he's planning on next. Anything on your end?"

I let out a sigh and sent a silent prayer that all of this would come to an end. I swiped up my keyboard and began replying.

"Nothing. Not a single piece of information. But he's definitely planning on getting someone else now. Take Leah and Katy to my old cabin house. You'll find the key hidden in the top corner of the window frame next to the door. I'll be there soon."