Chapter 2: The Missing Book

It was about half past midnight when I returned home. They were right about the break-in. Everything was scattered! im

Important documents flew by as I opened what was left of the entry door. Police cruisers parked on each side of the road to make sure i was alright.

"Dad?" I exclaimed waiting for a reply.

"He is in a secret cabin until other arrangements are made. As soon as you pack your important items we will be on our way to reunite you and your father." Timothy spoke this time but in a low dull voice as if a zombie.

"He wants me to pack? How? There is hardly any light in this house! I'll have to wait till morning." They didn't dare answer. I left them and went upstairs straight for my room and did as they said as quickly as I could. Not because I suddenly decided to have a change of heart but because I wanted answers and the faster I pack the faster these losers could take me to my father to get just that.

What in the world was happening? I thought to myself. Just a few days ago I was the happiest 18 year old in Green Haven. I had goals. I had family. I was Happy. And within a week, my whole life was wrecked with a snap of a twig. Literally! Why did my mother have to leave me and without any explanation at all as to what would follow next. Sure father would explain a little but what use would he be if he was attacked. Lets all face it, dad and I were useless without mother. She was kind but firm when needed to be. She was the glue that kept us together. She was everything! And now what do I have to show for most of my 18 years on this earth....her memories.

I zipped up what i wanted in a sparkly sports bag; grabbed my baseball hat and started to head downstairs when something caught my attention in mothers room. A shadow. Or a figure of some sorr crouched down shuffling through pages of something. I checked my surroundings to make sure those wannabes weren't watching me. They were probably downstairs eating what was left of our breakfast. With that thought in mind I snickered. I turned and entered the room slowly and carefully approaching the figure. Something about him felt like home. I felt as though he held the answers to what happened to my mother. I was about five feet away from him when I must've stepped on some broken glass from the window and he turned to face me. The figure wore a black hoodie and I could only make out his smile. For awhile we stood there staring at each other. Who was this stranger? I wanted to scream. But what good would that do for me. I had amateurs as my body guards. Thanks dad. Love you too. When I was about to open my mouth to speak, the figure smirked at me and instantly ran and jumped out the window. "Wait...." I tried to call but it was no use. The figure was gone by the time I checked the window.

A rush of wind blew flipping some pages on a book that was half hidden under a dresser. I crouched down and pulled the book out. The figure must've placed that book there because I didn't remember this book being here...... I thought to myself as I pulled the book out. As I read the cover my hand fell upon my mouth. This was the famous bible my mother always read from when I was younger at bedtime. I was surprised how ancient it looked. Must've been handed down from generations to generations kind of thing. But mother told me someone stole it. That thief I thought to myself. I flipped through the pages and noticed a thick space between Joshua chapter 1 and chapter 2. there was a envelope with a thick letter and some pictures in it. On the outside it had the initials H.C. and it was....

"You done yet? We haven't got all night, Ms. Emerson. Your father will be waiting."

"I'm comin'! Take a chill pill!" I yelled back. I would have to read through this later, i thought to myself as I placed it safely into my sports bag and quickly grabbed the picture frame of my parents on their wedding day off the dresser that stood next to her queen size bed. Then I ran downstairs and without making eye contact with any of the guards outside the house I entered the police cruiser once again. As all of them got into the car and started pulling away from the house, I turned around and waved goodbye as if someone was inside the house to receive my wave goodbye. How pathetic am I?

"Who are you saying goodbye to, Ms.?" Tim asked.

"My happy place." I answered not knowing I had already sealed my fate with those three words.