chapter one

chapter one - jack frost - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

_______________________________________

“I walk a lonely road, The only one that I have ever known. Don't know where it goes. But it's home to me and I walk alone” 

______________________________

        Cold wind engulfed his senses as he soared across the Atlantic Ocean. Every now and then, lowering himself to run his pale fingers across the water, sending splashes of water in every direction. He was headed towards North’s place now. Apparently, an urgent meeting has been called to order.

       Nothing has been ‘urgent’ since Pitch. The thought of a good fight and adventure made him speed up, an impish grin plastered on his face as he dodged icebergs and other things, hurriedly getting to his destination.

       It’s been years since the war between the guardians and Pitch. But it might have been a century too; he never really took track of time much once he became a guardian. Since then, he wasn’t as believed in as before. It was explainable; he was always just some excuse to let children stay in during winter. He figured it’d go back to how it used to me someday.

       He’d seen a lot of great people and things in his time. It never stopped hurting though, when you outlived them. His brows furrowed as the image of Rapunzel flashed through his mind.

        “Don’t feel it.” Jack reminded himself as his heart contracted in pain at the memory. He had tried to convince Rapunzel to become a guardian, maybe, if they asked Manny, they could talk it out. She practically represented the spring anyway. But there was nothing that could make her leave Eugene.

       He closed his eyes as he continued to glide across the water. He hardly needed his eyes to guide him there now; he had memorized its location by heart.

        “Make me remember someone I like.” He mumbled to himself as he scrunched his eyes closed, the thought of Rapunzel bidding him goodbye as she clutched onto Eugene's arm. Jack shook the thought out of his head.

       Jack’s breathing hitched as a flash of curly red hair went through his mind. Merida. He immediately thought of the first day he had met her; the first day she had seen snow. She was so fascinated by it, they clicked together immediately. He exhaled and mumbled, “Guilt.”

       Then he remembered the loud thunderous roars of dragons and the lop-sided grin he was so accustomed to. Hiccup. Jack thought of the time they had raced each other over the ocean he was now flying over so easily. His raspy voice let out another strangled mutter, “More guilt.”      

       He chuckled without humor as he opened his frosty blue eyes, “There has to be someone in this universe whose life I haven’t screwed up yet.”

***       

       “Jack Overland Frost!” North welcomed in his deep Russian accented voice. Tooth quickly got to Jack as he landed at the door, a fake smirk masking all his hidden feelings of depression. How ironic, the guardian of fun dealing with depression.

       Tooth smiled affectionately at him, but her eyes held a sense of worry he couldn’t look over. Jack then noticed the tense feeling that prickled his pale skin once he stepped into the room. Something was wrong, terribly wrong.

         The thought of something to do, something to fight, perked him up as he attentively looked for details in the room that would hint him to his mission. Bunnymund sat in one corner, his eyebrows furrowed as he muttered to himself in thought.

      Jack whistled as he walked gently around the room waiting for someone to say what exactly was happening. The excitement he felt deep within his bones made him almost giddy. The feeling he got when he was in a fight; the rush of his blood, his senses heightened and everything was just flashes here and there. He loved it.

         “Emergency meeting, huh?” Jack mumbled, running a hand through his white hair. His hand clenched around his staff, his knuckles whitening under the pressure. He could almost feel it, the adrenaline. But no one answered him. The peculiar feeling hung still in the air.

        Jack exhaled and walked up to North, and with a tentative nod asked, “So, is Pitch back?”

      North shook his head and with a glance at Sandy and then pointed to a dark cloud covering a slightly large part of the map on his wall, “No, Jack. He never left.”

       Jack’s head snapped up at the new information. How was that possible? Were the guardians too weak? He glanced at the shaded part on the map and then back at North.

       “He was weak, sure. But he never left, no, not completely.” North said as he inhaled a ragged breath. He looked genuinely tired and Jack frowned as he realized something; everyone was.

       “I – I don’t understand. What do you mean?” His fingers twitched in anticipation.

       North’s large finger passed the width of the black clouds hovering over the location near the mountains. Jack blinked in confusion as he stared at the place longer. Had he been there once?

       “Pitch has found himself a puppet. He is a host, a parasite,” North’s brows furrowed, “And with that puppet he has made an entire kingdom have nightmares. His host shouldn’t be that powerful.”

       Tooth stopped humming. Bunnymund stood, his ears pointed up in astonishment. Sandy continued to stare morosely into the fireplace, appeared to be concentrating on the blistering flames.

       Jack gave an involuntary shudder. One minute the room had been normal, everyone was doing something and nobody stood still, and suddenly they were all silent, their movements arrested. Jack stared at North, intently, while North continued to contemplate on the exact information that would be given. His face looked grim, all the laughter lines deepening into seriousness. Snow lashed against the windows. There’s something wrong.

       “Sandman paid the place a visit a few weeks ago. He hasn’t talked to anyone much since. He just stares at the fire, a frown coated on his face.” North said in a voice that was barely audible.

        “What? What are their nightmares about?” Jack asked; his eyes wide as he awaited an answer. He expected something along the lines of monsters or giants or –

        “Eternal winter.” North breathed out, looking at Jack in the eyes.

       The guardians seemed to draw together, and Tooth reached out a hand to include Sandy. But he closed his eyes and excluded himself. Pitch was getting stronger, and now he had someone just as powerful by his side. This wasn’t about that kingdom anymore, this was about the world.

       Bunnymund took a step towards us to say, “It hasn’t happened yet,” as if reading Jack’s thoughts he said, “Nothing bad has happened out of that spot. As long as it hasn’t happened, there might be a slight chance it won’t happen at all.”

        Jack gritted his teeth and said in an ominous voice, “North. What do we have to do?”

      North looked up and said, “I’ve talked with Manny. Arendelle, is too far gone now. We cannot save it in this time. But perhaps we may have a chance.” North put his hand on Jack’s shoulder as Sandy joined the group, “You must go back in time, Jack Frost. And undo what Pitch has done – or rather – make sure it doesn’t happen.”

 ______________________________________

Hi! Glad to know my story hasnt bored you, I mean, you've finished the chapter after all. I hope you enjoyed it. Jack and Elsa will be my downfall.

Comment, Vote and Fan? 

-- Kat