1. Great Expectations

Summer P.O.V

*FLASHBACK*
'Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being 'round
Help me get my feet back on the ground
Won't you please, please help me
Now And now my life has changed in oh so many ways
(My independence) My independence seems to vanish in the haze
(But) But every now (Every now and then) and then I feel so insecure
(I know that I) I know that I just need you like I've never done before'

I was sitting in my bed singing softly to myself. With my eyes closed and the song lyrics embedding themselves into my memory, I felt like the most peaceful 10 year old, unaware of the abuse that was to come my way soon. A faint voice shook me out of my trance. "Summer, come down for a minute!" my mom called from downstairs. I hurried down. Disobeying her was not in my priority list because only I knew the severity of her wrath.
As I entered the living room, I was surprised to find my dad sitting at the table along with my mom. He never took a day off from work, unless..... Oh no. It must be something I had done because my father only stayed home when I had done something wrong and he would often beat me. " Sit down. We want to talk." My father said, staring me dead in the eye. My hands started to sweat as I thought about the mistakes I made. As far as I could remember I hadn't. " Summer. Sit. Down" my mother said. I obeyed her and made my way to the couch. My posture was stiff, my hands were trembling with fear. " Summer, do you know why we've called you down?" My dad asked while setting his hands on the table. I shook my head. " It's come to attention that you have a passion for vocals. Your mother I have decided that as you are in your growing years, education is vital. Therefore, we will take proper precautions, to make sure you will have no distractions coming your way." I tensed up. I knew exactly what he meant by "distractions". My music.
My music was the only escape I had. The only way that I could be happy. There was no way they could take that away. But they did. They forced great expectations down my throat. They took away that one smile that music brought to my face. I cried harder than I had ever cried. I was beaten harder than ever. My dinner was taken away because I had cried. I had gotten a little taste of my life ahead.

*END FLASHBACK*

Nothing had changed. Sure I grew taller and more tolerant, but my life was still fucked up. I was still beaten, let's say abused, physically and emotionally, and I still was not allowed to sing. That hurt the most. Physical abuse and wounds would heal but the emotional pain my parents caused to me by snatching my music away, killed me every second. But I learnt to deal with it with time. Side effects were depression, loneliness, mood swings and occasionally even suicidal thoughts.
School was no big deal. I survived because I was the average girl whose presence and absence hardly made a difference. In fact it didnt at all. I'm one of those girls who is just there. I had a few 'acquaintances', not really close to them. Teachers seem to think I was invisible. Not that I don't like that. I really appreciate that. Due to that, bullies walk by me everyday without a glance. I'm not super-smart so nobody can threaten me to complete their homework. Life was great, for me. And I hope it will stay that way.