Autumn of Terror

Year 1888.

The air was cold, Shannon watched Jacob at his study table, looking more worried than he did the day before. Emmett was fifteen that year but Jacob was running around London and rarely had time to train his own son. Shannon could not help but feel that the Whitechapel murders were getting more worrying. The latest victim was Mary Jane Kelly who was an undercover Assassin and mutilated on her own bed. Shannon approached her husband placing her hands on his broad shoulders. Jacob then touched one of her hand and pulled it towards his lips.

"Shannon, I need to stop him," Jacob sighed. His voice was weary, his face tired. Shannon saw the jaded lines on his face and touched his face. "If I don't stop him, God knows how many more undercover Assassins will die and I don't want you to be one of his victims."

"I will be fine but I still think we should work together, Jacob," Shannon suggested. Jacob looked at his wife with fear in his eyes. He stood up and held her in his arms.

"I cannot afford to lose you, Shannon," Jacob said. Shannon wrapped her arms around him.

"What do you want me to do then?" she asked him as she looked up at him and rested her hands on his chest; Jacob leant down to kiss her forehead.

"I want you to go back to Crawley until I send someone to get you. Take Emmett with you," Jacob said caressing her face. Shannon's eyes grew large. She wanted to argue with him. She refrained when she saw the worry in his tired hazel eyes. Not liking the idea, she nodded although she was reluctant. Noticing the disappointment in her eyes, Jacob pleaded, "Please, Love. You know how Jack is. I should not have taken him in."

Shannon touched Jacob's face as gentle as she could, "Darling, do not blame yourself. We did not know he would be like that."

"And you were like a mother to him... Was all that not enough?"

"Jacob, I can see you are vulnerable now. He was mentally disturbed even when we took him in but you believed the best within him..." Shannon said but Jacob had the look of a man filled with regrets. "I am sure the sweet little Jack the Lad is still within Jack the Ripper."

"He is a murderer, Shannon! He murdered Mary Ann, Annie, Elizabeth, Catherine and Mary Jane. Did you see what he did to Mary Jane?" Jacob asked almost raising his voice. Shannon took a step back, in fear, not knowing what her stressed up husband would do. Jacob noticed the fear in his wife's eyes, went towards her and held her in his arms. "I am sorry, Love. I am under so much pressure. Please forgive me."

"I understand, Jacob," Shannon whispered. "I will go back to Crawley with Emmett then," Jacob noticed how Shannon sighed. He knew she agreed to go back to Crawley because he wanted her to.

"I am sorry, Love," Jacob said kissing her lips. Shannon released herself from his embrace. Without a word, she went to organise her things. Jacob felt a rush of guilt within him; he knew that he had somehow hurt Shannon's feelings. It was unlike her to remain silent as she was packing her belongings. He watched her while finding the right words to say to her when Emmett walked in.

"Father..." Emmett panted. "Mr Abberline wants to see you at his office.

Jacob approached his 15-year-old son. "Son, I told your mother to leave for Crawley today. I want you to go with her and take care of her."

"But Mother can be stubborn, Father," Emmett protested which caused Jacob to laugh at his son. Jacob tousled his son's hair. "I still think that you should try talking to her. Only you can reason with her."

"I know but she won't speak to me now, so... Just take care of your mother for me. I will send for someone to get the both of you when I am settled with Jack."