1. Childhood Years

When she was born as Mumtaz Jehan Begum Dehlavi in Delhi on 14 February 1933, St. Valentine's Day, a najoomi (fortune-teller), who was also known as Kashmirwale Baba, predicted that Mumtaz would have an astonishing future. The najoomi said, "Badi hokar ye ladki bahot naam kamayegi, bahot paisa aur shohrat paayegi, lekin..." (this girl will earn prestige, money and fame but...) and he paused and added that this girl would die before her age. All his predictions turned out to be true.

Born into an orthodox, middle-class Pathan family of Afghan origin, who could ever thought on seeing her that one day she would become famous as Madhubala, one of the most beautiful and versatile actresses of Hindi cinema? Her father Ataullah Khan was a dour and strict disciplinarian, who dominated both her life and career. He worked with the Imperial Tobacco Company in Peshawar, Pakistan, before coming to Delhi to start working as a driver for the same company. He did not stay here for long as, in the words of his youngest daughter Shahida, "My father worked with the Imperial Tobacco Company in Peshawar with the British. But being a Pathan, he was hot-headed and self-respecting. He couldn't bear being badly treated and lost a 15-year-old job in seconds."

Ataullah Khan's wife, Begum Ayeesha was a simple, illiterate woman who devoted her life to look after the home and the family. She gave birth to eleven children but three daughters and two sons died at the age of five and six. The six surviving daughters were Kaneez Fatima and Altaf before Mumtaz Jehan and three younger ones, named Chanchal, Zahida and Shahida. The last three addressed Mumtaz Jehan as 'Majhli Aapa', the second elder sister.

Ataullah Khan decided to relocate his family to Mumbai in the hope of making good, but the family had to endure unaccountable hardships. On 14 April 1944, a dock explosion and fire wiped away their small home, taking them to the streets. The family had a lucky escape as all of them had gone to see a film at a local theatre. Fortunately for them, a friend took them in, gave them shelter and food, and looked after them for seven months. Quite obviously this Pathan family had to undergo trying times as once Mumtaz Jehan herself recalled, "There were moments free of care and filled with joy. Then followed hardships and the heart-breaking effort to live and sustain oneself."

Shahidaexpressed her gratitude to her sister long after her death, "Right through mychildhood, Aapa (as she addressed Mumtaz Jehan) remained busy shooting.Coming from a conservative Muslim family of Pathans, my father wasn't keen thatwe study. But fortunately, I was sent to St. Joseph's Convent, Bandra.Yes, she was the only earning member. She remained the earning member till thelast. All that we are today, we owe it all to her."