II

“ARE YOU SERIOUSLY DRUNK AGAIN?!” I sat in my room and listened to my parents fight. My mom screamed at the top of her lungs at my dad.

“I WORK ALL DAY! I CAN HAVE A FUCKING DRINK IF I WANT A FUCKING DRINK!” His voice shook the entire house. I couldn’t listen to them go at it again so I locked my door and climbed out my window to head over to Louis’ place. Louis is my best friend my only friend. He knew about my parents and always left his window unlocked so I could climb in and crash there.

It was past midnight so I knew he would be asleep, but I couldn’t sleep in that house tonight. I knocked on the window softly and saw Lou rustle in his bed. I pushed the window up and jumped through, shutting it behind me. I crawled into his bed and he automatically wrapped his arm around me.

“They’re fighting again.” He said, more of a statement than a question. I nodded and buried my face in his neck looking for comfort. This was happening so much that I barely slept in my own bed anymore. Louis didn’t judge me or try to tell me to leave because he knew I had nowhere else to go. He just held me and reassured me that I am not alone. I would lay with him until I felt confident enough to return to my house. I knocked out wrapped in his arms and woke up to the light streaming in from outside.

I slowly slid out of his grip, and borrowed one of his jackets so I could bare the brisk morning air. I left a note saying I went home before they monsters found me gone and slipped out his window again. I got to my house and climbed up the drainpipe to reach my window on the second floor. I came in and climbed into my bed to make it look like I slept there all night.

I walked down the stairs expecting to find my mother in the kitchen cooking breakfast and the sound of the news channel filling my ears, but it was dead quiet. I couldn’t smell breakfast on the stove, in fact, I couldn’t find my mom anywhere. I looked around the entire house and called out her name, but no answer. I was really freaking out and I went back upstairs to find my phone and try to call her. Going over to my desk, I saw I note scribbled in pencil.

Dear Y/n,

I’m sorry, but I can’t do this anymore. I am leaving your father. I can’t handle the constant fighting and bickering. Just know that, just because I am leaving your father, doesn’t mean I don’t love you. I just need to get far away from there. I am sure you will be happier without me in the picture. You won’t have to hear us fighting at all hours of the night anymore. You will be happier and so will I and so will he. It is better for all of us. I love you Y/n.

Always,

Your mother

Tears brimmed my eyes and I just stared at the note. How could she do this to me? The woman who gave birth to me, who is supposed to love me unconditionally, left me. She just packed up and left me with this stupid fucking note! I crinkled the note up and threw it across the room burying my face in my hands. I laid in a ball on the floor crying for hours until I heard the front door open and slam shut. Part of me hoped it would be her. I hoped that she had changed her mind and come back for me, but I was met with cold eyes and the overwhelming smell of liquor. My dad glanced up at me and lowered his head again brushing past me into the kitchen.

“Are you going to leave me too?’ he slurred.

“No, but I should.” I mumbled.

“What did you just say to me?” his eyes filled with anger and sadness.

“I said I should leave you.” I blurted out more confidently. “Its your fault she left. She left us because you couldn’t keep yourself sober long enough to put food on the table!” I spat angrily. He moved from behind the counter and slapped me across the face. After all the crying I had done and the adrenaline now pumping through my veins, I didn’t even feel it. “So is that what you do now? You hit me when I tell you something you don’t want to hear?” I said lowly and he grabbed my arm pulling me up to his face.