Four

A dream. I thought it was my dream. But after realizing some petite hands were wrapped around my waste physically, I knew it was real. With my eyes shut, I felt the edges of my mouth lift up for the feeling of having Sophia hugging me. My dream, it went away. I forgot it immediately.

"Noe?" She called. "Wake up! I got a pet kitten yesterday!" She jumped up and down on the edge of the bed. I opened my eyelids and lifted my watch from my nightstand. Ten a.m.

"A kitten?" I turned to my little sister. "Yup!" She replied ardently.

"Well show me" My eyes widened and I vowed to show her excitement and happiness for the kitten she got. She turned around and lifted up a brown box from the floor and carefully brought it to me.

"I named her Noelle!" She jumped up and down once I had the little kitten in my arms. She was a grey British Shorthair. My heart sank into my chest when I heard her say the words. She named her own kitten Noelle.

"She's very beautiful" I massaged the kitten's tummy with a wide smile on my face.

"Dad said that if I got good grades in school, he'll get me another one!" She jumped up and down once more.

I faced her and giggled. "You want a house full of cats don't you!" I chuckled and tickled her as she started laughing and trying to get away from my hold on her small frame.

"s-stop! Sto-op!" She yelled playfully and giggled. I chuckled and stopped when I heard footsteps coming towards my room. Just then, I realized I only had on a tank top with some cotton shorts on. I quickly pulled the covers on my body and watched as Nolan stood impassively on my doorstep.

"Sophs. Car is downstairs. Wait for me there." He said with a firm expression on his face. Sophia's wide smile faded away and her body slumped down. "Okay" She whispered and I handed her the small kitten.

"You're gonna make her go to the car alone? In an apartment building?" I faced him fully.

"Don't play the parent. I know what I'm doing." He nodded his head towards me and ushered Sophia out of the room and I heard her footsteps as she descended downstairs.

"I'm destroying the family now" I snorted. "Sure" I looked away from Nolan and stared down at my hands.

"Don't come near her again"

"She's my sister. What? You have a restraining order against me now?" My infamous grin widened.

"I don't think you want her to end up like you at a young age. Stay the hell away from my daughter" He said in a monotoned growl. His voice held so much agitation and bitterness, it made me want to laugh.

My daughter.

My mask slowly slipped down and Nolan's afflictive words sank into my chest. His voice, a mere whisper at the back of my mind replaying his speech over and over again.

How dumb was I for not knowing he'd react like this? I should've known that Nolan would say something like that. Its what he does. Of course. Why would Nolan ever call me his daughter? I didn't deserve that kind of privilege.

I didn't want to believe it. But I'm obligated to. I cant be built on false hope and that one day Nolan would come apologizing to me and asking me to forgive him for all what he's done. Even if he does, it wont be easy. I wont let him climb over the wall I built.

I inhaled a deep breath and shook my head. Sitting up, I made my way to the bathroom and got ready.

"I'm going to my old school" I said as I took out the milk from the fridge to pour it into my bowl of Lucky Charms.