Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: The Power Within

“Ugh… Where am I?”

A teenaged, female pokémon slowly opened her eyes to adjust to the sunlight that was shining brightly on her face. She slowly sat up, still not fully awake yet to take in her surroundings. After about a few moments of looking around the area, she realized that she wasn’t in a place that she has been before. She quickly jumped to her feet, unsure of what to do next in the grassy field that she woke up in. However, she spotted what looked like a dirt path about twenty meters away from where she stood.

“Well I guess that’s a start,” She mumbled to herself as she began to walk toward the path, “but why do I feel… weird?” Even though she had a slight headache and felt a bit lightheaded, she knew something else was wrong, but what? She put her hand on her forehead to try and ease away the small pain when it hit her. “I have three, black fingers!” She nearly toppled over in a mix of surprise and fear as she stared at her hand. She eventually realized that her hand wasn’t the only problem because a majority of her body was a slightly faded, yellow-like color.

“Am… Am I… Am I a pokémon?”

She rubbed her teal-blue eyes, but her sight couldn’t have been any clearer. She was a pokémon, a Mawile to be exact. How is this possible? I’m not a pokémon! I’m a human! A HUMAN!  What happened to me? Am I going crazy? “I must be dreaming,” she finally said out loud, relived that she most likely wasn’t going nuts. “But out of all the pokémon in the world, I turned into a Mawile? That’s lame. I would much rather be a fire type or a dragon type, but instead I get the weakest steel type out there. I don’t even have a Mawile! What is my brain thinking turning me into this tiny thing? At least I have a giant set of chompers coming out of the back of my head. That’s pretty cool!”

As the teen continued talking to herself, she didn’t even notice the Luxio that approached her from behind, but not directly behind so that he wouldn’t get accidently bit by the huge, black jaws. “Hello there. Is something wrong?” The Luxio’s voice sounded smooth, his words flowing effortlessly as he spoke in an attractive manner towards the Mawile, causing her to instinctively jump in surprise. “Geez, you scared me! I thought I was the only one here, but then again, this is a dream and anything could happen. Oh, I’m Styx by the way. Styx…” She suddenly realized that she forgot her last name. Did she even have a last name? Something wasn’t right here. However, Styx’s thought process was interrupted by the Luxio.

“Pleasure to meet you, Styx. I’m Nolir,” he said, introducing himself to Styx before tilting his head slightly as if he was a bit confused. “A dream you say? I’ll assure you that I’m here and in the flesh, though some pokémon might dream of me when they’re lonely,” he cooed with a wink.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Styx replied, nearly groaning at Nolir’s failed attempt to flirt with her.

“What?” Nolir beamed smugly at her annoyance.

“Forget it,” Styx grumbled, but right when she opened her mouth to ask Nolir a question, she heard yelling coming from two figures father down the path. Nolir noticed them too, and stood on his hind legs to get a better view of what the commotion was all about. A moment later, it was clear that a Gallade and an Ampharos were running at a very fast speed, the Ampharos carrying a young female Nidoran and the Gallade carrying a male Nidoran in either arm. They didn’t even acknowledge Styx and Nolir as they sprinted past except for a quick order to “get out of the way.”

Styx looked at the two wide-eyed as they ran past, and then looked at Nolir with an extremely confused expression plastered across her face.

“That’s Shatter and Ebony. They’re in team Alpha,” Nolir exclaimed, not even needing to be asked because by the look on Styx’s face, she was obviously going to ask who they were.