Chapter Two:Fade Away

"My mother told me a story about the power of bonded.She said that those who believe in the power it held could use it to bring back a sparkmate that was offline.Now I didn't believe it until she used it to be with my dad again.They were so close that even in death she could still contact him,so one day he asked for her to join him.I remember my mother kissing me on the fore-helm and whispering that she was going home.I looked at her and said you already are home.Mother shook her helm and gave me a weak smile.She said i'm going to my real home with your father.We all watched around her berth until her spark died out.I'll never forget the happy smile she had when she died." Chromia told Ironhide one night on a hillside outside base.He frowned and looked at her."Would you do that for me?" He asked and Chromia smiled."I'll follow you anywhere Ironhide."

Chromia walked to the hillside that night after she left base.Her steps were slow as those words echoed in her processor."I'll follow you anywhere Ironhide."  Shaking her helm she sunk down to the ground and stared at the stars.She wondered if he was up there watching over her or if he was next to her.Either way she couldn't feel him anymore and she felt so lost without him now.Elita had said a few weeks ago that he was missing something to come back but they didn't know what.Stumped Chromia pulled at a few blades of grass,dimming her optics until they almost offlined.Not being stupid Chromia knew how Ironhide always said don't bring him back if he died.Let him go like the warrior he was.Turns out Chromia wanted to ignore that wish and bring him back regardless of his saying.~Chromia I know you can figure this out.~ Jerking her helm up and looking around Chromia fiddled with her fingers.He sounded so real,so close to her.Was she going crazy? She had to be now. "Ironhide are you here?" She asked sounding rather dumb.

No he wasn't there you crazy femme! He was dead! Gone! Never coming back for you to touch again.Hold in your arms and whisper all your secrets too...Gone! Chromia grabbed her helm trying to muzzle her own thoughts that mentally tried to kill her.She knew she heard him! The gruff deep baritone of his vocalizer was so damn real!

~I'm here with you Chromia.Relax and let me show you.~ Their bond remained dead but his voice was real,slowly she vented a sigh and waited for him to respond again.Two hours passed and nothing.But something had come over her though,the need to rest.Her systems felt drained now like she hadn't recharged in months.Well she hadn't to be honest,ever since she got back she had been rocking back and forth on the berth or trashing her room.Huffing irritated and sadden badly,Chromia trudged back to her dorm helm low and vacant optics.To her surprise all the fembots were sleep so she nothing to stop her from her journey to her room.That's when she saw Ratchet standing outside Med Bay.Ratchet and Ironhide were very close friends,just like him and Prime was.The Medic looked sick and on his death berth or something.He looked up seeing her and then looked away again.

"Hey Ratchet.." Chromia mumbled as she stopped in front of the yellow mech.He didn't say anything at first but soon spoke.

"Hi...Chromia.W-What are you doing up so late? Normally you would still be in your Quarters." He said grievingly.Chromia placed her servos on her hips and shook her helm batting her optics.

"Couldn't sleep....Not anymore.Just went out for some fresh air." Came her reply and Ratchet nodded. "Well I guess that's understandable.Sleep can be a pain in the aft sometimes."

 Chromia nearly cut him off and glared slightly."Why are /you/ up at this time of night?" Ratchet just shrugged his shoulders."Working on something.And I can't sleep as well."

His optics widen as Chromia jabbed a finger in his face.She knew this was being hard on the old Medic but she needed to know."When are you going to get 'Hide back online? I'm sick of waiting for you to get the right tools.Either you get it all at one time or leav-"

"I am trying my best!" Ratchet snapped and then sighed deeply covering his face."I want him back as much as you do but this takes time Chromia and I'm not sure if it will even work!"

Chromia didn't want to take no for an answer and snarled balling her fists."What kind of Medic are you if you don't even know what's missing from him?!" She blurted out trying not to cry uncontrolabley in front of him.Covering her mouth component she shuttered her optics sinking to the floor trembling. Ratchet stalked over and placed a servo on her shoulder sighing."I know it hurts Chromia and I kno-"

"YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT FEELS LIKE! YOU'RE JUST PROGRAMED TO SAY THAT!" She screeched at him jerking away from his touch still shaking.Keep his optics dimmed as well,Ratchet shook his helm."I lost a femme once to the war.And I have to live with that pain.There was no one there to help me bring her back only Optimus and Ironhide to comfort me.And you know what?" He asked her seeing she was trying so hard not to break into pieces.

"What?" Chromia growled and narrowed her optics staring at him."I let them.Put my pride behind me and stop forcing it away.This isn't something you can conquer alone 'cause it will defeat you.Death and a broken bond has taken away so many lives over the vorns I have been a Medic and I don't want to put you in a pod and ship you off to deep space! Bad enough Ironhi-" Ratchet stopped talking as Chromia slowly turned to face."You're shipping.....MY mech....into...DEEP SPACE?!" She snarled and lunged for him cursing in Human and Cybertronian."HE'S NOT YOURS TO GIVE AWAY YOU YELLOW RUST PILE!!" She added lashing her servo digits at his faceplates.

As soon as the words 'Rust' left her mouth she skidded to a stop on her peds and her fist didn't reach Ratchet's face as it was directed to.Ratchet tried to speak but he was cut off by the rapid whirling of her cannons that were a blazing blue and the other like a Red fireball. He knew he would be shot if he said anything to her right now,best to let her rant and rage it out her systems.But the only thing she could do was point at him with flickering optics,backing away down the hall.Chromia had lost her voice.The words stopped on the tip of her glossa refusing to come out without being so weak and pathetic.The odd 'MMM' sounds she made was the only thing she could make until she was out of view.Vanishing into her room she slid down the wall and gave a scream that would shatter any optics as her hugged the Iron Rifle like she did every night.