Run Home

"Run!!" Grace screamed.

I darted towards her snatching the valuables off the ground when they fell from her hand and into the puddle on the ground . The ground was still wet due to the rainy week. I thought to myself, how do I always get stuck in the 'wrong' crowd?

Grace was my best friend. I had never had one before since I was always busy and my job endangered everyone around me, but I don't do that anymore I won't unless they find me and take me again. They won't though. They probably forgot about me now.

There were splashes and large footsteps behind us, coming toward us, and lunging at us. Men in uniforms were following us...well Grace mainly she's the one that took the clothes but I never leave anyone behind. If she ever got caught she melt and cry a river saying, "I didn't mean to. I just want nice things." I laughed at the thought of her baddie facade shattering and revealing the sweetest powder puff.

"What are you laughing about we can't get caught!" Grace turned to scream at me.

"Shut up. I know what to do, follow me and I'll get us out of this mess." I answered back in a serious know it all tone.

I ran, almost leaving Grace behind. She had never seen me run before because no one bothered calling the police on us. Most people had pity on 16-year-old orphan girls, but not this time. Once I saw another alley, I made a sharp turn almost dropping my, no Grace's clothes. She better share them with me after all this trouble, I thought. There was a doorway. It was open and dark. Perfect. I ran in and pulled Grace in with me. We stood there in silence trying to become invisible, which wasn't too hard since we were both wearing black from our heads to our toes. The footsteps passed us and splashed us in the process.

After a few minutes, we peeped our heads out of the door. Grace looked down to meet my cold stare with her brown puppy eyes. I couldn't stay mad at her. She was my best friend and the only person in my life...besides all the people I try to ignore.

"Hey, I'm sorry." apologizing Grace yanked me into a hug. She always man handles me.

While laughing I replied, "It's okay. Let go back now"

I turned and allowed her to place the clothes into my backpack. It wasn't a long walk back "home" if you even want to call it that, the orphanage is really more of a place you sleep and eat... like a hotel. It even looked like a vintage hotel with its old woodwork along the walls and countless amounts of rugs that were adorned with flowers. Small rooms that make you claustrophobic due to the massive arm-wares that take up almost the entire room. They are all painted a basic color too, beige.

Once we reached the steps of the orphanage, Grace pushed the doorbell and we were met with the annoyed face of Mrs. Gilbert. She hated when I and grace would leave together because we were "bad apples" as she would say.

"What have you to been up to?" she demanded. Scrunching her dark brown eyebrows that contrasted her light brown hair that was always contained in a tightly polished bun.

"We went for a walk," I responded.

"Why did you take your backpack with you?" She sharply responded.

"Because we walked to the library. You know the one that's two blocks away," I couldn't help but smirk. I love winning.

"Then le-" she was interrupted by a girl named Katy, who was tapping on Mrs. Gilbert's shoulder as if it was a doorbell. "What is it, Katy?" She asked in a mellifluous voice. She can be very nice at times but i didn't care for her sweetness or anyone's really.

"There's a man over there waiting for you Mrs.Gilbert," she whispered. She is the definition of shy. She doesn't look people in the face, she doesn't like new people or crowds, she talks very quietly and is very secretive.

Once that was said Mrs.Gilbert diverted her attention to the man standing in the doorway. He didn't seem shocked by the tone Mrs.Gilbert used with me and Grace, he just stood there with an expressionless face. He was a tall man middle-aged man with a light complexion that made his green eyes and dark hair stand out even more. She was flabbergasted by his looks and attitude that she just stood there looking him up and down with her mouth open.

"Hello, my name is Mr.Howlett." The man interrupted her inspection by introducing himself.

As soon as he released Mrs.Gilbert from her trance, she let out her hand and introduced herself. Then, walked down the main hall and into her office.

"Wow, thank god he has perfect timing." I breathed.

"Yeah, we have been kicked to the curb if he hadn't shown up. By the way, did you see her face?" She busted out laughing.

I also started laughing "Did you see the drool going down her face?"

Whipping an imaginary tear from her eye, "But you have to admit he was hot."

With that, I exploded with laughter, "Are you going to drool over him too?" She responded with a "you liar" glare, while I simply laughed it off and started running up the carpeted stair and into my room.

In my room, I unzipped my backpack, turned it up sided down, and dropped all its contents on the bed. With that done I separated the things that I wanted from Grace's goodies and placed them away. while I was folding the clothes away I was interrupted by a gentle knock on my door. I quickly shoved all the clothes that were on my bed into the dresser and ran to the door. Dreading the thought that Mrs.Gilbert was on the other side I was quickly surprised by a pair of green eyes looking down at me.

"Hello Rose, my name is Mr. Howlett." he said with a smile while extending his hand towards me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello reader,

I hope you liked the first chapter. It was a challenge writing my story this way since I had always envisioned it as a comic and not a book, but to be honest it was pretty fun writing this. BTW I'm a big comic book nerd so lots of names in the story will be inspired by comics. In fact, Howlett is the Wolverine's last name :) but don't worry the characters won't be a ripoff of the characters their names are from.

I would also like to say that I will be reading your comments, so just keep them nice. If you have any ideas for the story as well I would love to read them. Who knows I might add them ;)

One last time, thanks for reading!

-Juliet♡