Prologue

Picture a world free from man-made disasters; picture a world where the matters of human societies and civilizations have no say on the outcome of human destiny. The world once known has been replaced with the nightmares of fantasy horror being brought to life; the dead have began to walk among the living.

No-one really knows why, where or how it all was made possible in the modern age; all people knew was that they were now fighting for their very survival.

The outbreak of the reanimated dead happened, seemingly, out of nowhere. No official warnings were given out by the world's superpowers until it was too late to stop the apocalypse; most of the general population heard stories, whispers, but mostly put the rumours down to conspiracy theories, and continued with no preparations within the first couple of weeks. They were soon proven wrong, a costly mistake of humanity saw the average (urbanite) with no preparations in place have no method of action to act on. Their apathetic nature towards the danger would be a lesson taught that most would not live to learn from, and with no means of protection, the people flooded into town centres, grouping together and proving that safety in numbers is not always a winning formula.

The rotting and decaying corpses began to ascend on the masses, devouring anything they could and extending their number with haste. The transition between living and living dead was, for some, an instant transformation, but others were not so lucky and the change took so long that when they came back, there wasn't literally, anything of their former selves left.

The world leaders were presumed dead or long gone from a controlling position of the issue at hand. Army factions were released onto the case, but the sheer number of the enemy dead soon overcame the world's top military forces. Rumours of a self destructing operation were denied when no serious bombs were let off. It appeared that they underestimated or hoped, that they didn't have to destroy the planet to save themselves from extinction. In the end it was seen as a lose lose situation and the decision was made against such actions.

Some independent countries attempted a strong and well figured defence, but even those fell to the numbers of their adversaries. The only feasible plan left at the time was to race into the spare fallout shelters that were available and built for the threats of world war that now seemed trivial. It was thought that the threat to the world would be another country that didn't agree with the superpower nations, but it was another unforeseen and uncontrollable catastrophe that had called for these secure homes underground to be required. Some more savvy or of great means, had their own personal shelters, other less fortunate or unprepared types were forced to huddle together in the public made one, but most were destroyed due to the transition of re-inhabiting going to slow, with all the check-points and detector machines in place to prevent the infected from entering. It appears that the very things to protect, ended up destroying most of the safety parties. However, some were able to ride out the initial wave, settling in shelters and hoping the apocalypse would blow over, hoping to even starve the earths new alpha predator.

With some safe in shelters, others were forced to fight and try to survive with all means they could find. After awhile, it would become difficult to find the difference between the living and the dead...